1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Not Sure What to Make of This...

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Huckleberry, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Huckleberry

Huckleberry Well known member

...I went for a short run the other night and struggled through it, I literally only did a couple of miles as my left hamstring was as tight as a bowstring and I just wasn't enjoying the experience. The next morning I had the usual left sided stiffness that strikes after my runs nowadays but also had a slight pain in the bottom of my right foot...over the last couple of days this pain has got worse. What I'm really surprised about is that on checking my diary if can see that I had this exact pain about 5 bloody years ago...the same deep bruised feeling in exactly the same spot and it hung around for about 2 months before it disappeared. During this 5 year period I haven't had it at all and that's after running and training for various long distance runs etc.

I'm just a tad bemused and I'm not really sure if this helps confirm that things are not really all they seem with the pain I'm having. I just can't see how logically a pain can disappear for 5 years solid only for a 2 mile run to set it off again regardless of what I've been doing in the interim period. I don't know if this is a PF foot issue as I know people tend to see this as TMS I'm just interested in the pattern of it as it just seems so weird and bizzare...wondering if anyone else has had similar things and if anyone can advise if this fits a TMS process. Cheers.

2. Anne Walker

Anne Walker Beloved Grand Eagle

I had plantar fasciitis three or four years ago and lately the pain has been resurfacing, primarily in my right foot. It is very inconsistent so I try not to pay too much attention to it. I have had every pain that I had the last 20 years resurface since I have been working on the TMS. I often get pain in the bottom of my right foot. When I had the plantar fasciitis it was constant and severe for months so the fact that it comes and goes confirms to me that it really is the TMS trying to distract me.

3. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Plantar Fasciitis is a TMS symptom. Enrique wrote a thread about his own experience with PF and training for triathlons in the thread: I'm a TMSer Triathlete. The most curious thing that you mentioned was that the pain spread and increased, I'm assuming, on days when you were resting. This is a common development path TMS takes. It uses an actual activity (running) to create a symptom, and then spreads to another area if you are not too worried about it. Then, when you are resting it and checking in on it, it begins to increase. The kicker is that your symptoms are increasing because you are worrying about them. If you begin to think psychologically and positively your symptoms will subside. Balto also posted one of the best posts I read in a while in the thread Many Kings of Strange Pains, in which he wrote:

This is pure brillance

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Balto is a wonder. He expresses himself so well when he gives such great advice.
    "Don't fear your symptoms." Stay positive and tell yourself you are not giving in to pain.
    Turn your thoughts and actions on positive things. Turn on the light inside of you so you
    turn off the darkness.

Msunn likes this.