1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Not really suffering from the common symptoms on the ‘Sarno list’

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by tgirl, Oct 23, 2019.

Tags:
  1. tgirl

tgirl Well known member

I have realized lately that one of my biggest roadblocks to accepting TMS fully is the fact that my nerve symptoms don’t really appear on any of the TMS lists, and I certainly don’t have a bad back which seems to be a big one on this site. Does anyone have anything uplifting to say about this? Do you really believe it can be TMS if the symptoms are rather obscure? Again, I’ve done the medical testing.

Another thought I’ve had and probably need some clarification about is this: do you think it’s possible to have along with repressed emotions etc , an anger loop about the symptoms themselves? I get so angry about them at times that my day is ruined. I become irritable etc. I have been to the point in the past that I just accepted the feelings I was experiencing and didn’t let them become an obsession for months, but I sadly have to say the symptoms still didn’t go away. Because of all this I’m developing an almost constant sense of anxiety. Yesterday I started the SEP program.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
  2. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

I hear what your talking about ,, but I really don’t think it matters what are pains are as long as we don’t have any kind of medical findings , it has to be Tms . And treat them as so. It’s all about mindset and not caring ...if you did all the emotional and it sounds like you have . For me I don’t go there anymore I watch my daily thinking and negative thought patterns .

ssxl4000, miffybunny and tgirl like this.
  3. tgirl

tgirl Well known member

Hey Boston Redsox, I’m really happy to hear of your thought pattern change. Thanks for the post.

4. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

Hi Tgirl

there was really no other choice ...all that emotional I was done with ...I kept digging for this unsolved emotion that just wasn’t there anymore or I did care to find it all I know it was the stuffing down of them for years that got me where I am ...and with that said I just had to move on change my mindset acceptance of who I am right know and move on watch my daily emotions and stressor... my pain is still there but I just say ok your here and that’s all the attention I give it .

5. miffybunny

miffybunny Beloved Grand Eagle

I struggled mightily with this issue as well. I had overcome one long bout of TMS but my brain upped the ante with RSD/CRPS. Now I could SEE my pain...swelling, extreme redness (rubris. the dr. wrote lol), my MRI showed bone marrow edema in every toe, my feet and knees would turn red and purple and grey (vascular changes), temperature changes etc. I had a hard time finding anyone with my story so I was fortunate to speak to Dr. Howard Schubiner and he assured me it was still coming from the brain, so it was still TMS. The brain can produce all manner of symptoms. I met people who had RSD in their scalp, in their ear, full body (They looked covered in tattoos ), and stomach. The brain is that powerful. I hope that helps allay any doubts!

tgirl likes this.
  6. ssxl4000

ssxl4000 Well known member

Hi Tgirl....a few things...
    1- I agree with Boston Redsox. The medical industry is pretty good at finding stuff. If doctors can't find anything concrete, look to TMS
    2- If it helps, I had some nerve issues (my main problems were Chronic Fatigue and IBS). At one point, before learning about TMS, I was feeling a little better, but I got the flu for a week. A few weeks after that, I started having numbness in my feet and tingling in my legs. It quickly progressed to weakness and it got to the point I was using a stool to cook dinner. I had a doctor test me for a post-flu nerve issue that apparently is a thing, but it came up negative along with all of his other theories. After learning about TMS, it went away quite quickly. I have only read Mindbody Prescription from Dr. Sarno, but I know he touches on nerve issues (neuropathy I think) at least a little.
    3- The "anger loop" is very real. My issues started as IBS and really bad digestive issues, due to stress from family and work. But I got so run down I could barely do anything. At that point I started feeling worthless, depressed, angry, etc. Those feelings are what fed my Chronic fatigue like symptoms. It was like a death spiral.
    4- I'm glad to hear your starting the SEP. One of the things the program will try to help you with is learning to lose your fear and worry about your symptoms. The goal of the program is not necessarily to get rid of them 100%, but rather to try and make you not care about them anymore (coincidentally, the less you care, the better your symptoms will feel).

Good luck!

tgirl and miffybunny like this.
  7. tgirl

tgirl Well known member

Miffybunny, thank you for your reply. Your story gives hope and I’m happy you are feeling better. I’m assuming the people you met that had the problems healed as well. It can be scary.

ssx14000, Interesting that yours started after a flu. My first bout with this came after a flu, but the second episode that is hanging on started after a long period of stress. I guess after numerous neurologist visits I should trust that they can’t find anything wrong. I really hope at some point the symptoms go away because quite frankly I can’t really envisage living with them forever. Thanks for your kind words.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
    miffybunny likes this.