1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Noseeum bites!

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by mncjl123, Jun 24, 2016.

1. mncjl123

mncjl123 Peer Supporter

i was finally got feeling better. Getting fresh air and being outside was my goal. So what happens? I face my fear and get out. Now covered with noseeum bites that are itchy and welting. Can anything go well in my life? I have tried most formulations natural and unnatural to treat these in the past with no avail. Am I doomed to be forever inside? I live in Florida.

2. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Look on the positive side, you weren't eaten by an alligator.:dead:

mike2014 and plum like this.
  3. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi there, ouch, that's irritating!

I used to use odorless garlic tablets when in warmer climates, it certainly kept the little pest away.

plum likes this.
  4. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

I eat marmite (it's a crazy stupid love from childhood) and that seems to deter all kinds of pests. Worked like a charm in the Canary Islands.

What the heck is a noseeum?

mike2014 likes this.
  5. mike2014

Ah, I love marmite.

From Google :Ceratopogonidae, or biting midges, are a family of small flies in the order Diptera. They are also known as no-see-ums, midgies, sand flies, punkies, and others in North America, and sandflies in Australia

plum likes this.
  6. Ines

Ines Well known member

Your reaction to the bug bites is TMS as well right? I believe I read that in one of the TMS books. This happens to my mom. She has arthritis, insomnia, anxiety, depression, back pain, and digestive problems. When she goes in the garden she comes back covered in bites. Or when she goes out to smoke she is covered in flea bites. I also react to bug bites but I feel like she is a bigger TMS'er than I am. I can go into the same places and will not get the bites she does. Maybe it's our nervous and immune system responding because it is so sensitive.

7. mncjl123

mncjl123 Peer Supporter

Mmmmm? I don't think bug bites are TMS. That seems to be going a bit too far. Perhaps my reaction. But certainly not getting bit.

8. Ines

Ines Well known member

Yes, sorry, your reaction is what I meant. Do you think we all get bitten but only certain people react and TMS makes it worse? That's what I think about when I see my mom get so many bites.

9. mike2014

Well, I'm sure TMS makes us tastier and more attractive to bugs lol

Joking aside, I think TMS can alter our physiological make up (our blood).

I read that if we have blood which is high in acidity / sweet blood, we are more prone to be bit.

I'd definitely try marmite or the odorless garlic tablets, until you restore your immune function.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
  10. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

I think I'd rather be bitten than eat marmite ;)

We Americans don't have the gene to like the stuff.

But I know from experience that no-see-um bites can be very painful and stay swollen and itchy for quite awhile. Sorry you are going through that. Florida does have its challenges.

mike2014 and plum like this.
  11. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

I empathize with your reaction to the bug bites! I'm a favorite for anything that stings or bites, and the bites often swell and take a long time to disappear.
    Other than products that contain DEET--and many folks react badly to that--I don't know of anything preventative. However, I've discovered that witch hazel is a great item to apply after you're bitten or stung.

Three weeks ago I was gardening and apparently knelt on a fire ant hill. I received about 300 bites on one leg. Talk about pain! Witch hazel was a godsend.

12. mncjl123

mncjl123 Peer Supporter

Thanks for the natural witch hazel tip. I will try that. I have been using grandmas old fashioned baking soda paste. Boy are these things nasty and itchy! And yes, tom, I found humor in me not getting eaten by a gator!

Ants, biting midges and mosquitos are not friendly creatures! Here's hoping they will leave us alone in the future.

Tennis Tom likes this.
  13. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle