1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Noob here and a question about journalling

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by PussInBootz, Feb 11, 2016.

1. PussInBootz

PussInBootz New Member

Hi (sorry this turned out to be long)

I'm new here and new to TMS. I discovered a random link in a web page about RSI and that started my journey about a week ago.

I have started reading Healing Back Pain and it is blowing my mind but so many questions are coming up that I am sure will be answered in the book if only I could read it fast enough.

I started learning because I felt like I was developing RSI in my hands and after trying special gloves, adjustments to my desk set up at work, glucosamine, warming ointments and NSAIDs nothing was really working... things got bad when one of my stress relief tools, gaming, was taken away from me because it hurt my hands.

Reading the book and starting to learn about TMS has made more difference to my hands than any of the other things... but I realise, I possibly have a TONNE of other symptoms that are probably TMS.

At the moment I am at a point where I am aware of the tension in my upper back and it's really frustrating that I don't yet know enough to do anything about it.

I will keep reading for now but I am absolutely blown away and fascinated by it... I want to learn so much and find out how I can apply this to my life.

I have seen people on a FB group talking about journalling and I think that is something I need to do more. I've done it sporadically for years but I think I need to change the way I do it and also how often.

So, for my first question I would like to ask something really practical.... how often do you journal and what method do you use? I like writing but I feel I need to have something I can have with me at all times... with the initial problem being in my hands I am reluctant to do something that involves typing... although I realise that in creating that limitation I am still feeding the TMS thought patterns.... but also, if I'm typing I will end up using my phone and as a touch typist those keyboards drive me insane... should I go back to carrying a note book?

2. Susan1111

Susan1111 Well known member

Welcome!! Although everyone has a different opinion on how to journal I've yet to hear that anyone types it...but perhaps they do.
    My method is quite simple there are no rules. I write what I want when I want. Many people are more structured, that feels like pressure to me.
    Carrying a small notebook with you sounds like a great idea.

3. PussInBootz

PussInBootz New Member

Hi Susan, thanks for the welcome and your guidance.

My question was purely about the practicalities... I don't know whether to carry a notebook around with me or save it up till am home. I am a very impulsive and spontaneous person, my moods shift quite quickly... I wonder if carrying a notebook would be better so that I can get the feelings out before they are repressed and I have moved on to the next thing.

4. Susan1111

Susan1111 Well known member

Perhaps you missed what I said, I think carrying a notebook is a great idea!

5. PussInBootz

PussInBootz New Member

whoops, sorry...

6. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, PussInBootz. Yes, carry a notebook with you. You might forget something for journaling.

7. PussInBootz

PussInBootz New Member

Thanks... I have done this now and started yesterday :)