1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Non celiac gluten sensitivity | Fear of Food

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Simplicity, Oct 11, 2015.

1. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

I remember reading a few articles that our stomach contains our second brain. Therefore there is bio feedback mechanism between our stomach and mind, and I agree with Jan, it could be no more than a placebo at play when dieteray changes help eleviate intollerances. I certainly dont think it eliminates them for good. I believe, eating even unhealthy foods, within moderation can even help strengthen our bodies immune system and ability to heal, just like our body becomes more resistant to foreign bodies such as the common cold etc.

Ultimately, our bodies and intollerances develop as our physiology changes as long as we have a healthy mind, everything else will follow.

Simplicity and JanAtheCPA like this.
  2. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Humans are omnivores, we can eat ANYTHING as long as it doesn't kill us, fear of food is just another TMS distraction from the emotional issues.

3. balto

balto Beloved Grand Eagle

I think the end of the world is near TT. The past 50 years or so people just evolved negatively. When I was younger, no restaurants had gluten-free options and gluten-free products were also hard to find in stores. I mean, wheat has been in bread for thousands of years and we have done okay. Not now, people have really changed in less than a generation. We are much more sensitive now. Just about every food can kill us. They don't make human like they use to in the old days anymore. Imagine some GI fight some Hitler's troop some where in Europe asking for some gluten free rations. :) We would have loose the war.
    In just a few years gluten free became a $5 billion dollars business.

Sienna, Renee, mike2014 and 2 others like this.
  4. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Balto, I wish I could "like" your post more than once :D

mike2014 likes this.
  5. Simplicity

Simplicity Guest

I totally agree, balto. :)

However, it's a very complicated thing, at least for me. I was plagued with health issues for many years, desperate to find a solution, willing to try anything to get better (and I know many people in the same situation). When I first started with the paleo way of eating I did get better in some ways, and whenever I would eat something with gluten in it I would get very ill. So it's only natural that one would think that there's some sort of intolerance to that food, seeing how it triggers joint pain in me, something I don't have otherwise; it only shows up when I eat gluten. I know now that it is potentially a "trigger" and I've decided to continue eating it and working at making the pain go away... I might as well get it over with now. :)

JanAtheCPA and mike2014 like this.
  6. Simplicity

Simplicity Guest

That is what I'm hoping for now.

mike2014 and JanAtheCPA like this.
  7. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

The end of the world as we know it, but probably not the planet, unless we piss the boss man off really badly and he decides to send an asteroid our way or open up a few fissures in the earth's core and we have a couple of Krakatoas simultaneously--that could bring about some real climate change.

The "epidemic of TMS", as Dr. Sarno termed it, is an outcome of the Pax Americana, with people having too much time on their hands. Homo sapien sapien has been generally relieved of the burdens of devoting full time to the fundamental survival basics of finding food, shelter and fending off attackers, like saber-tooth tigers, grizzly bears or the tribe across the river who wants to kill the men and steal their cattle, women and children.

With all the saber-rattling going on around the planet right now, the surpluses of the good times may be used up swiftly due to the economics of the geo-political cycle, resulting a some sort of a crash, whether it's a soft one or a hard one we'll see.

"All my friends in Los Angeles are the sensitive type. They all have like all the diseases like Chronic Fatigue, Epstien Barr, Fibromyalgia. Like all the diseases where the only symptoms seem to be you had a really crappy childhood and at the prospect of full time work ya feel kinda achy and tired."[​IMG]

Comedian Maria Bamford, posted by Skizzik @ TMSHelp

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  8. JanAtheCPA

Add to that, as my mother who lived to 92 would have told you - we live too long! Seeing as how our main purpose as mammals is to survive just long enough to breed and raise the next generation.

Tennis Tom likes this.
  9. Simplicity

Simplicity Guest

Another update:

I've been eating gluten for about two weeks now, with the joint pain all over my body getting worse everyday. Over the weekend it also started to affect my respiratory system. Apparently there's some swelling, and inflammation going on all over my body. The dr said that everything indicates an allergy/intolerance and that I should treat it as such. The problem I have, though, is to get a proper diagnosis I would have to eat gluten for about two months and as it is now, it's impossible.

So, I'm going to work on my diet in other ways, but I won't subject myself to being this ill anymore. It's scary when you can't breathe, to say the least.

For a lot of people following these "gluten-free" diets it's a way to get into shape or they believe that somehow they will be healthier, but those of us that suffer from these severe symptoms when eating gluten its a different thing altogether.

10. JanAtheCPA

Simplicity, I'm sorry to hear this - that's very discouraging. And yeah, I also wouldn't subject myself to two months of this just to get a diagnosis. Many of us are able to self-diagnose quite nicely - if we pay attention, we know our bodies better than anyone else.

Let us know how it goes getting those other things back into your diet. It could be that you have a true gluten intolerance, but that the rest of your issues are TMS!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2015
    mike2014 and Simplicity like this.
  11. Simplicity

Simplicity Guest

Hi Jan and thank you for your kind words!

Yes, I'm certain that my other issues are tms, for sure, and I am thankful that I can now begin to heal those issues. Just because I can't eat gluten doesn't mean I can't work on my issues with food. I have to stop worrying about it and include as much real, healthy food as possible.

Going forward I will eat a gluten-free oats, buckwheat and those sort of things... I'm looking forward to start baking a bit, I've been missing it.

This has been an eye-opener for me. I'm glad to continue this journey and to learn as I go...

Thank you for your support!

mike2014 likes this.
  12. balto

This is what many experts would say is an example of the power of placebo. You think gluten free diet might help and it will help.

This is what many experts would say is an example of the power of nocebo. You think gluten might hurt and it will hurt.

And that is how we all conditioned our body to eat or avoid eating certain food because we think it may help or hurt us. I thought coffee will intensify my panic attack and sure enough it did, even though it never did before that thought enter my mind. It took me a while to over come my body's conditioned respond to coffee. Now I'm back to enjoy my 3 cups a day everyday.
    “Stewart Wolf, MD, did a double-blind study with pregnant women who were suffering from nausea and vomiting. Dr. Wolf gave the placebo group another medication, which he characterized as a ‘new, strong, very effective anti-sickness’ drug. This time not just some of the women, but all of them experienced relief from nausea and vomiting. What was this amazing new pharmaceutical? Ipecac. Don’t know what Ipecac is? It’s a very powerful drug used in hospital emergency rooms to induce vomiting! Just the strong belief that they were taking an amazing new anti-sickness drug was enough to totally reverse the chemical action of this drug on their bodies!"

This is a nice article to read about the power of nocebo effect: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/12/opinion/sunday/beware-the-nocebo-effect.html?_r=0

We are really became what we think. Simplicity, I was suffering tremendously when I try to overcome my fear of coffee causing my anxiety/panic attack. I accepted that suffering. I let it happen over and over again until I no longer fear it. I just sit there and truly enjoy my coffee no matter what happen. I accept the consequences and remain calm, acting calm, acting like I'm strong, confidence, relax, and calm even during a panic attack. Over time, the attack became less frequent and then just disappear one day. I love my coffee now.
    The feeling of being free from any limitation is wonderful. There is no limit in life. The only limit are the one we set ourselves, we have to remove them all and truly enjoy life. Limit always come with fear, and fear is the main cause of tms and anxiety.

Grateful17, Tennis Tom and JanAtheCPA like this.
  13. KatieDid123

KatieDid123 Peer Supporter

Hi Simplicity!

I just have to chime in as I can relate to your story/situation so much. I've been dealing with pain for about three years now. Prior to pain, I was a healthy eater, but didn't eliminate any major food groups. I just ate what I wanted when I wanted it, without giving it much, if any, thought. When my pain developed, I became obsessed with my health, thinking that there must be something I'm doing or eating that's causing this pain. I became a dedicated Paleo eater after spending hours every day Googling success stories in which Paleo eaters got rid of their pain. I cut out gluten and started fearing it like some sort of deadly poison. I continued to cut out various food groups. Nothing was affecting my pain. I started getting more particular, trying an autoimmune version of the Paleo diet, eliminating nuts, nightshades, etc. From there, my obsession with food kept growing. I have read stacks and stacks of books on diet and nutrition. I became a raw vegan for awhile after hearing miraculous healing stories from people eating that type of diet, then transitioned to a regular vegan. I would spend hours upon hours reading testimonials, articles, and research. I would read one thing and think, "Oh my gosh, I have to cut this out now!" Then I'd read something else that would say to eat that thing I just cut out, so I'd fearfully add it back in. Then if my pain would act up, I'd think "Oh no, that thing I added back in has made it worse!" and I'd cut it out again. I went around and around like this, adding foods back in, then taking them back out. I thought that if I could just find the perfect diet for me, all my body problems would disappear. The amount of fear I have around food is immense, and it's something I too am working on and was in severe denial about.

All this time, I've been doing the work of Dr. Sarno, but it's only recently that I figured out the big picture. I read this response by Steve Ozanich in another forum post and suddenly it clicked. This was all TMS. The pain, the obsession with food, the fear. Here's what Steve posted (http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/getting-to-the-heart-of-tms.6095/):

"I'll tell you one that I'm seeing quite often, food intake. When they heal from TMS pain or whatever, many folks begin to shift their obsession to a perfect diet. They read, and study, and worry about the types of food they're taking in--for fear they aren't being perfect with what they're putting into their body. Their new worry is that they aren't eating perfectly, and anything they may eat may be harming them. I've seen all kinds of new shifting fears but this one seems common. Of course they deny it's TMS, just like they first denied their new Knee pain was, until they can see that it is indeed a new way of TMSing. At first, they felt it was just a way of being healthy, until they realize it's a new compulsion. They feared eating the wrong thing, where they never cared before they healed from their pain. The SI-shift.

Of course there are the good old standbys like people building bunkers, germa-phobianacs, new phobias, eating disorders, and two folks that I've seen shift into PPD (paranoid psychological disorder), one of which was aimed at me. They heal from their physical symptom, but the core work wasn't accomplished, so they turn to paranoia, a psychological defense mechanism. Their fear comes through the window instead of the door.

Fear is the driver of all of life, if it's used correctly it helps us grow and expand light, to light the road to peace. If it's used for self destruction then we get TMS, and self-imposed punishment. The direction depends on self-worth.

Fear is the factor to overcome. But remember the good doctor's statement, "The brain will not be denied!" If a symptom is removed by artificial means, or by placebo, the fear will simply find another way to dim your light. Michael Marshall said, "you can't stop being afraid just by pretending that everything that scares you isn't there." So, face your fear by accepting it, and then using it to expand your light. Consciousness doesn't fear, it knows."

As others have mentioned, I think most diets work for people, or rid of their symptoms, because they think it will work. If you believe something enough in your heart, it will manifest. I'd say that if a food is making you sick, don't push it. Just cut out the gluten, but then just relax about food and eat what you want. That's not to say go crazy on junk food, but just eat good, whole foods that appeal to you. I totally relate to you when you said that it sounds crazy to think that healthy foods like quinoa or chickpeas or a piece of whole wheat bread or tomatoes are ruining our health. It sounds crazy, but when you're in the midst of the obsession/fear cycle, it's very real and legitimate.

You know how you always hear those stories about someone living into their 90's, and they're asked what their "secrets" are, and they always seem to say something like, "My secret is a shot of whiskey or a pint of ice cream every night." If they're eating these "forbidden" foods, how are they possibly living to this old age? The answer if that they are happy. They love themselves. They love their lives. They don't worry about little things. They do what makes them feel good and don't stress about it.

I too have gone from a social butterfly to an isolated person. I have turned down invite after invite from my friends because I got tired of being "the sick girl" and answering questions about my health. I feel that I'm breaking through all of this, slowly but surely. My intention now is to get my life back. You need to switch your attention to creating a happy life, rather than focusing on your body in any way, which would include obsessing about food. Stop trying to heal, stop reading about health, stop searching for the next possible solution. Just go live. The body falls into balance when your soul is where it wants to be. And lastly, start to love yourself. Truly, deeply love yourself. Easier said than done, I'm working on it too, but I believe self-love and forgiveness are the keys to a harmonious body.

My apologies for this novel of a response! Good luck on your journey and keep me posted. I could have written your original post myself. Feel free to reach out to me for support if you ever need it because I fully understand what you're going through!

Best,

Katie

14. JacketSpud

JacketSpud Peer Supporter

The part about a genes for each of the things you listed is inaccurate. These traits are multigenic, or more correctly quantitative trait loci. There is no single gene for them - there may be many numerous genes that can contribute to them but since they are also dependent on interactions with the environment too, it is not appropriate to compare them with a single gene disorder such as celiac.

15. Simplicity

Simplicity Guest

Hi Katie!

Thank you so much for your very kind and generous post. It means a lot to hear that you can relate to my issues. I'm trying my best to get better, although I won't eat gluten right now seeing how ill it made me. I'm happy to now include things like dairy and rice... and occasionally oats and things of that nature (and ice-cream ;)).

You can certainly get lost in all the diet information and I think some of it is sound, like eating whole unprocessed food, I won't give that up. :)

It is confusing, to sort out what is what and I'm trying my best to find a way to heal that works for me; taking it one step at a time.

Again, thank you!

All the best,
    Simplicity

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  16. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Simplicity. TMS may not be about nutrition, but it is about worry, and you worry about eating. Tests shows you do not have a gluten problem
    so write that one off. Just eat a lot of fruits and veggies, either fresh or frozen, avoid red meat, stick with chicken, turkey, fish, and drink lots of water.

17. balto

JacketSpud, I don't compare single gene with multigene or with anything. I just want to say I don't believe gene control our health. Gene can't turn itself on or off, it can't control itself how can it control anything :)
    Multi or single it doesn't matter, just don't blame your gene for your ill health.

18. Zumbafan

Zumbafan Well known member

Balto, your comment was helpful to me. I keep reading about neuroplasticity, (for fun), and it is becoming more evident that our thoughts really do matter, and they shape us, by what we believe.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  19. JacketSpud

JacketSpud Peer Supporter

Guess we shouldn't blame them for eye color or hair color then either!

20. Simplicity

Simplicity Guest

I decided to go for a cell-test/biopsy to finally get an answer to what's going on. It turns out that although the blood-test came back negative, the cell-test did not. That can happen apparently. So, I have celiac disease. It explains why I've had life threatening anemia before and that I had severe gastritis for many years that I was able to heal by eliminating gluten.

I think my issues around food has been due to the fact that I have anxiety, instead of facing it I obsessed over food. I do think, though, that for some of us, one of the keys to healing is to heal the gut as well. You can heal yourself by working on the mind and the body at the same time; one doesn't have to exclude the other. That is what I have realized for myself at least.

I'm glad I went here to look for answers and that I tried eating gluten again, because now I finally know; plus I've found a lot of great information on the forum (especially related to anxiety), I've learned so much. This has changed my life in many ways. I'm thankful for that.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2015
    Ellen, mike2014 and JanAtheCPA like this.