1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 8 No progress

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by deny, Mar 4, 2021.

1. deny

deny Peer Supporter

1. I’m so grateful to find this guided program and Community.
    - Still no change in symptoms. Is that normal?

2.Are you having success at recognizing the emotions connected to your pain? If you have, how do these emotions make you feel? If not, what do you think is preventing you from doing this? If you feel comfortable sharing, then post your response in a thread in the Structured Educational Program section of the PTPN's discussion forum. We would love to hear from you.

- No, I have no success at recognizing the emotions connected to my pain.
    - I don't know what is protect me. I don't even know if I have TMS, and if I have think is because of my dad and my breast implant removal. But don't know how to recognizing it?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
  2. miffybunny

miffybunny Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Emotions are only one part of the picture. You will also need to address other areas: doubts and fears, thought patterns, behaviors (responses to triggers for example), mindset (outcome independence), and your day to day life (stressors, emotions arising form present circumstances etc.).

With regards to emotions specifically, you need to explore themes and false beliefs stemming from childhood that are getting recreated in the present. Explore emotions at the onset of TMS or when you have increase in symptoms. That is how your body is communicating to you. Rather than somatizing and repressing, the goal is to actually allow emotions to arise and to actually feel them. Give words to them. Bring them into conscious awareness so your brain can let go of the TMS strategy. Symptoms are also learned habits so the way you respond (with indifference) is key. It's not important to connect an emotion to every symptom. What is important is being aware of them in general and losing the fear and focus around symptoms.

Hope that helps!

Ellen and birdsetfree like this.
  3. birdsetfree

birdsetfree Well known member

You are only on Day 8 so yes it is normal to not have much of a reaction by now! The goal is to let go of any time monitoring and to adopt the attitude that you are already cured with the knowledge that there is nothing wrong with your body. This work is about rediscovering your true self and eventually feeling safe with that achievement.

Emotions are often first felt in the body. When we're embarrassed we might flush in the face, when we're nervous we might feel nauseous, when we're sad we might feel a choking feeling in our chest etc. Your job is to start being more aware of these sensations to help you to get in contact with repressed emotions and bring them to the surface. Practising this over time will help you to more easily identify what is going on with you emotionally and teach your brain that it is safe to feel your feelings. This is an important part of the journey to recovery.

You are doing great! Keep going!

Ellen and miffybunny like this.
  4. deny

deny Peer Supporter

Thank you @miffybunny for your time to answering me.

I read this all the time but HOW do I FEEL and how do I IDENTIFY.

I can understand that I may feeling a chocking feeling in my breast. Yes, I feel it, and I can feel the anger in my shoulder, but then? I guess Im better to think my feelings, but I'm stuck I guess and need someone to help me. Do you have any recommendation?

5. deny

deny Peer Supporter

Thanks @birdsetfree

How to practising? I guess it must happen in the moment?

I can go back in time and remember how I FELT, but I dont understand how it's gonna help really. I read ALOT about TMS and the personality traits is ME.. I'm stuck.

6. birdsetfree

birdsetfree Well known member

Yes it must happen in the moment, you are correct. When your mind is used to repressing feelings it is helpful to use your body's sensations as indications that there are feelings going on. Pay attention in the moment. Tune into the sensation, sit with it and try to make it even stronger until you can identify and release the feeling. This may take some practice and that's okay, it will happen and it will enable you to get back in touch with yourself. Reconnecting with yourself and your feelings will result in yours symptoms fading away so long as you accept TMS is the cause.

When you say "I'm stuck" you are giving yourself an instruction to be stuck. Change the language you use with yourself. Use empowering words like "I'm still figuring this out but I will get there," "I can do this," etc.

Keep up the great work!