1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 3 No pain relievers today

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by barksducks, Dec 17, 2013.

1. barksducks

barksducks New Member

I started this program after a recent bout of low back pain that began about three weeks ago. I have longstanding experience with back pain, having suffered from it from the age of 20. Two bouts—one in 2005 and another in 2006—lasted over six months each time.

The timing of this onset, and the fact that it was not sudden, made me wonder what was going on, since I'd been free of pain for almost five years. I had bought one of Dr. Sarno's books some time ago, but didn't read it. However, when I realized that I was approaching the one-year anniversary of my marital break-up, I began to wonder if my pain wasn't somehow psychosomatic, since I have learned throughout my life (I'm 47) that my anxious mind can play significant tricks on me. I've had tinnitis, globus sensation, IBS, and so on, all conditions that resolved when the life-stressors that were present at the time resolved.

I happened to find Dr. Sarno's book on my shelf five days ago, and I read it and decided to dig deeper. So I'm on the wiki doing just that, and doing the program. As soon as I read the book, I felt a degree of relief, and now, on the third day of the program, I am already experiencing considerably relief. Today was the first day in ten that I haven't taken a Tylenol 3. I also had the rather interesting experience last night of getting rid of some pain with just a thought. I was sitting on the couch (which is not a good idea when I'm in pain), trying to find a position I could stand. But then I took the position I wanted to be in, and told myself that I'd worked hard during the day and I deserved to watch some television and relax, and that I wasn't doing anything wrong by doing so. After five minutes, the pain was gone, and I was focussed on my program. I tested the result by getting up and making some movements that would normally be painful, and they were not.

As a writer by trade, I already credit our consciousness with the capacity to do many complex things in the background, so it doesn't take much to convince me that TMS is a real thing. I already accept the diagnosis consciously and am looking forward to it seeping in deeper.

Dahlia, nowtimecoach and Ruth_L like this.
  2. Ruth_L

Ruth_L Peer Supporter

Awesome news barksducks!

3. lauren4235

lauren4235 New Member

It does seem to take a while for the thoughts to sink in subconsciously. Wonderful that you could get by without any pain meds! It is hard to give up things that previously have given us comfort (pain meds, heating pads, special shoes, special pillows) but that is what it says to do in Dr. Sarno's book. I have given up everything except my heating pad! I know I should give that up too, hopefully soon. That is so wonderful that just your thought removed your pain and also wonderful that you told yourself that you deserved to sit and relax, because you DO deserve it! It's hard to be good to yourself when you are so used to taking care of others.

nowtimecoach likes this.
  4. joseph32

joseph32 Peer Supporter

So happy that you are doing better. I have given up everything minus the pain medication. I have cut down, and hopefully will get over that obstacle. It seems to be the hardest after being on it for years. Good health to you!