1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

No pain during activity, but soreness after

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by fredb, Aug 28, 2019.

1. fredb

fredb Peer Supporter

Having had tremendous help and advice from members of this group and convinced I have TMS one question still baffles me. My pain is centred in my upper back, around my right scapula area, but activity that you would expect to ramp up the pain, like using a rowing machine or a treadmill at the gym (I have recently returned to the gym) is a fairly painfree experience. However, later the same group of muscles become very sore and remain that way for perhaps a day or two. Then back to the regular ache as usual. Has anyone an explanation for this as it does not make sense that tense and painful muscles should not hurt

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

The whole point of TMS theory is that our symptoms don't make "sense". Does phantom limb pain "make sense"??? Of course not - yet it has correctly been accepted by the medical community as a completely real, albeit brain-generated, phenomenon. And, it's also accepted that it's a phenomenon that can be trained to abate or disappear, by using conscious and mindful brain power.

TMS symptoms are the same brain-generated phenomena as phantom limb pain, and it's thanks to the research into phantom limb pain that we can see such a clear example of the FACT that it's our brains which create ALL sensation and symptoms.

You want to get this into your conscious, rational brain once and for all: your brain is in charge of all physiological functions and sensations, which means that it can create any sensation at all, and it is particularly clever at creating weird ones that will keep you worried and on edge.

In other words, you are letting your fearful brain obsess about petty details, which, seriously, DO NOT MATTER.

Let it go. Get on with your life and stop seeking reassurance. Your ultimate healing can ONLY come from you, not from others.

Ellen and plum like this.
  3. LaughingKat

LaughingKat Peer Supporter

Dear @JanAtheCPA,

I don't know about @fredb but I needed that tough love today. Thank you!

JanAtheCPA and plum like this.
  4. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes.

TMS is nonsense. It is the jabberwocky of the medical world.

Plum x

JanAtheCPA and Ellen like this.
  5. fredb

fredb Peer Supporter

Thanks again Jan for your very comprehensive and to the point reply. I do appreciate the time and effort you put into helping me and of course others on this site. It must be frustrating at times, especially dealing with new members like me who need more than the normal reassurances of TMS symptoms. Your hard line style does halt me in my negative tracks! Thank you for reminding me which direction I should be travelling in. I was just mystified that I often get relief of my pain when active, but as you point out the brain is in charge of all physiological functions and I guess can stop pain as well as start it?
    Thanks again for your time and efforts for me and others you are helping.
    Best wishes Fred.

6. fredb

fredb Peer Supporter

Thanks again Plum. Yes it is still a bit of a mystery to me, but I reckon I will get there in the end. Don't we need some rain soon? I guess you have a parched and rather brown garden yourself in the Heart of England?
    Best wishes
    Fred.