1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

No answer yet

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Cammy, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Cammy

Cammy New Member

Hi I asked this question over a month ago and no answer from the experts? Or I missed it?
    Anyway: I've been diagnosed with Cervical Radiculopathy as well as pinched nerve in lower lumbar.
    There is no pain, but there are, at times, nerve problems : wooden-like forearm wonky and weak., fine motor finger problems mostly on left, tingling and electric shock down arm when I bend my head back. PT is not helping much.
    Guess what? When I have two beers or a scotch on the rocks, there are NO symptoms.
    When I obsess about my symptoms they get way worse.
    Sound like TMS? thanks guys.......Derek

2. balto

balto Beloved Grand Eagle

I am no expert but I thought you already answer your own question in your post.

If it were something structural 2 beers wouldn't bring any relieve.

CarboNeVo likes this.
  3. Cammy

Cammy New Member

Thanks Balto: That's what I thought, but why do my PT guys just laugh it off?

4. MindBodyPT

MindBodyPT Beloved Grand Eagle

As a PT myself I can tell you 99% have no idea about TMS, sadly! I can't really even talk to my own co-workers about it since they are so wrapped up in the structural model of pain/symptoms. PT won't do much for your symptoms, they definitely sound like TMS so i'd definitely take the TMS healing approach! Have you tried the SEP or other programs on here or other TMS books?

5. Cammy

Cammy New Member

Hi mindbody: thanks for your reply. I've read 2 of Dr. Sarno's books and I am on that roller coaster of Accepting TMS and being scared of what the MRI tests
    and doctors say. Today I read Sarno's take on pinched nerves and it really helped this afternoon. So I need to keep the faith. Yes, after laughing about the drinking and
    feeling less symptoms, I was not about to mention TMS to the PT guys........need more courage.
    By the Way MindBody: here is the real chiller: "severe bilateral foraminal impingment c5 and c6.
    Derek

6. MindBodyPT

MindBodyPT Beloved Grand Eagle

Glad you read Sarno's take on it! I also noticed my back pain would decrease when I was drinking before I discovered TMS, wasn't sure what to make of it. I always tell folks that MRI results can sound super scary (mind said that my S1 nerve root was compressed which freaked me the hell out before I found TMS!) but most truly are benign, normal abnormalities. If your nerves were truly "compressed" you'd be likely to lose function in that area and this would not vary if you had a couple drinks :)

7. FredAmir

FredAmir Well known member

Hi Derek,

I was diagnosed with herniated disc, degeneration discs, leaky discs, piriforms syndrome, osteoarthritis, Pinched nerve, annular defect, sprained back muscles, and so on. What they don't tell you is that most people by the age of 20 have some sort of a spinal abnormality at C5-C6 and/or C6-C7 for the cervical spine (neck), and L4-L5 and/or L5-S1 lumbar spine (lower back). Those are the areas that get the most movement and quite normal to have spinal changes.

usually, when I hear someone had an MRI for their neck or back, I guess with almost 100% accuracy where the abnormality is by knowing the above fact.

Unfortunately, most doctors do not follow the best practices advice from American College of Physicians. If your doctor did, you might have been saved a needless MRI. See my blog post and watch the video from ACP. I hope it will give you more assurance that it's just TMS and you can move on with your life.

http://www.fredamir.com/single-post/2016/07/22/American-College-of-Physicians-Spinal-Abnormalities-Are-Normal (Back Pain)

MindBodyPT likes this.
  8. Cammy

Cammy New Member

Hey Fred: thanks for your comments and the link. I just ordered your book. I appreciate it, and will keep you guys posted.
    Derek

9. FredAmir

FredAmir Well known member

I had all of those symptoms plus clicking sounds too. Quite scary! I thought I might become quadriplegic until I learned about TMS.