1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Nightmares

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Jojo61, Jun 6, 2015.

1. Jojo61

Jojo61 Peer Supporter

I have nightmares or very unpleasant dreams every night. Sometimes I remember bits of what I dreamt about, other times nothing. When I get up at night (to take care of my baby) and when I get up in the morning my body feels stiff and I'm usually in more pain then I am during the day. I think the two are connected.

I would like to be able to be more relaxed during the night. I have tried relaxing exercises and they help me to relax and fall asleep. It's after I've fallen asleep that my subconscious seems to take over and things get worse.

Has anybody got any tips for me on how to get my brain to stop scaring me at night?

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Jojo. I get bad dreams and good dreams. I seem to get better dreams more often since I have practiced
    deep breathing to help me fall asleep, and to return to sleep if I wake up.

I try not to watch tv an hour before bed time. I listen to relaxing music, practice deep breathing,
    and think of being in a sunny, relaxing place.

Try to get some natural sunlight during the day, and sleep in a room as dark as possible.
    If you have a clock radio near your bed, cover it or face it to a wall. The blue light most of those have
    can keep us awake.

Jojo61 likes this.
  3. Jojo61

Jojo61 Peer Supporter

Hi Walt, I'll try some of your tips. Thanks for you reply. Goong to bed now, breathe in, breathe out

4. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

You can use the experience of the nightmares as evidence of all the painful experiences "down deep that don't want to be felt." So in a way, painful as they are, you are getting a direct experience of material that drives TMS symptoms! Fear, sadness, terror, or whatever is there.

Anne Walker likes this.
  5. Jojo61

Jojo61 Peer Supporter

Hi Andy B, looking back at some of my most common dreams they are about anger (mostly directed at my parents) and fear (of someone hurting my daughter). Hmmm... Seems I've got some journaling to do