1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 15 Nightmare weekend

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by mrk591, Mar 29, 2016.

1. mrk591

mrk591 New Member

Been a bit slack with the program. Results were flattening. One thing I was doing was exercise. But two days ago I fell awkwardly from a big height on my ribs. I can't exercise. This is making me depressed again and I now have the physical rib pain plus my existing TMS pain. Any thoughts on how I deal with the combination of both types of pain? I am in real dire straits here. Was coping okay before the fall, now I am scared to death again of losing my job etc etc

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi. Mrk. I'm sorry for your extra pain from falling and hurting your ribs. You need to take it easy on exercise for a while, but don't worry that that will be permanent. Many people have pain in several places, so you are not alone there. Some even have pain all over.

The main thing to do is relax, practice deep breathing, and tell yourself positive mantras that you are going to heal and be fine. You were feeling some good results from the SEProgram and will experience more as you continue in it.

Rib cage pain can be a real bummer, but it always goes away. Maybe try hot moist towels, and also take Tylenol or Advil.

3. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes, Mrk,
    Walt gives good help. I would also say that over time you can get better at tolerating fear and anxiety, which is coming up for you right now. Observe it in your body, feel it, don't fight it, and learn to hang in there within the experience of fear/anxiety. You might use soothing words to yourself: "You're afraid about your job and this is hard for you." To live in fear is not easy, and yet to try to run from it, or make yourself wrong for experiencing it is also not helpful. Good luck in making deeper friends with your human condition. It is the hero's journey.
    Andy B

4. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

In regards to what I posted above, have you done the TMS Recovery Program? You can always interrupt the SEP and do this for a few days. It teaches basic skills to deal with the "meta-experience" of working the TMS program.