1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

night sweats

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by eskimoeskimo, Nov 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. eskimoeskimo

eskimoeskimo Well known member

Hi all,

I'm just wondering if anybody has any experience with nightly sweating. I wake up once or twice a night somewhere between damp and soaking. And this is despite it being about 40 degrees F, window open, light blankets, fan going. I'm a 27 year old male, so it's not menopause (most of the info I can find about night sweats seems to be about menopause). This has been going on for some years, but with increasing frequency (just about every night now). It's driving me kind of crazy. I've tried changing my eating patterns, my bedding materials, I even got a new mattress. I haven't discovered any definite patterns. Is this just anxiety? Is there anything I can do about it?

Thank you

2. Gigalos

Gigalos Beloved Grand Eagle

I know the feeling, waking up in a soaked bed. I had it worst when I was on anti-depressants and overweight. I had to change my pillow and sheets in the middle of the night. Nowadays it rarely happens, only when I am 'TMS-ing'.
    They say you only remember dreams when you wake up in the midst of it. I think often we have dreams that bring fear, but most of the times we only wake up after because our bed and pillow are soaking wet as a result.
    So, what can you about it?? Well, just accept it and work on your TMS during the day. By addressing issues, accepting emotions, they lose their power. Maybe other people here can give you more tips.

Bodhigirl and lexylucy like this.
  3. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Hey you,

It's probably stress/TMS but it can be hormonal too, and not just in menopausal women. Low testosterone can be a cause in men so you may want to pursue that for what's it's worth.

Plum x

Bodhigirl likes this.
  4. Dorado

Dorado Beloved Grand Eagle

Agreed with Plum; hormonal imbalances and thyroid issues - which can be reversed! - can cause such symptoms, so be sure to rule it out with a doctor.

That said, excessive sweating is frequently the result of an overactive sympathetic nervous system, which can be caused by stress. That's why people often find their hands and feet covered in sweat when nervous - it's a classic "fight-or-flight" function. Sweating is controlled by the sympathetic nerve fibers, which are part of the autonomic nervous system. Excessive sweating is one of my TMS symptoms. I do experience a great deal of sweating at night sometimes, so you're definitely not alone.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2019
    Bodhigirl and Ellen like this.
  5. lexylucy

lexylucy Well known member

Hi eskimo!! :)

Nice to hear you. It sounds like you are ready to ask the question of weather these night sweats are a TMS symptom for you.

I would whip a paper and pen and ask yourself what ELSE were you were feeling around the time that these night sweats first appeared and/or became more a part of your awareness.

Love,
    Lexy Lucy

Bodhigirl likes this.