1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Newcomer-GERD for 5 years

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by sydney, Sep 10, 2018.

Tags:
  1. sydney

sydney Newcomer

hello,
    I’m a newcomer to this site. I’ve suffered with sudden onset GERD for 5 years. I’m on Prevacid once a day. Initially I was on Prevacid twice a day and Zantac before bed. I’ve worked my way down to just one Prevacid before breakfast. I still have heartburn symptoms sporadically. No pattern that I have really been able to identify. I saw Dr. Schubiner last March. He helped a lot. I would like to hear success stories from other GERD sufferers. I have no other MBS symptoms.

2. had

had Peer Supporter

I had GERD for years. Had a miserable scope (no sedation for some cruel reason and gagged for the whole thing...first time so I had no clue that wasn't normal) saying I had "possible" hiatal hernia. More "possible" diagnoses I was so sick of. Took meds for it for a year or so but just had uncomfortable side effects like dizziness and no great improvement overall. Tried home remedies, diet changes, down the rabbit hole. At some point it just went away, reflecting back on it that was when another medical issue took the forefront of my focus, so more evidence it was TMS.

The shit thing about all this is everything that can be TMS can be caused by a medical condition as well so it's so very hard to let go of that lifetime of conditioning even when tests show nothing...and since they so often show "possible" things it makes is harder. I'd probably have never rid myself of GERD if I was TRYING to since for me things either go away when recognising them as TMS, or they stick around forever confusing me as to their origin, or they go away at some point with as little explanation as their onset, proving they were likely TMS as well. I am really bad at convincing myself something is TMS if I am not sure, but can recognize it retroactively easily and several things in my past like GERD were so clearly TMS, and had I been able to accept that then I could have gotten rid of it sooner.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
    LoveAfterAll and Lotus like this.
  3. Sofa

Sofa Well known member

I too had what I thought was GERD, brought on by GAD, lol but I'm being serious. For me it felt like swallowing and talking was uncomfortable. Made me not want to talk very much.
    Mine also went away after having it for about two years. Maybe coincidentally but I quit drinking bourbon around the time I stopped. When I drink bourbon now it comes back the next day, so maybe mine was just an allergy to bourbon.
    These types of things are so hard to overcome and sometimes it's just dumb luck or whatever and it will go away. Maybe do something so intense and "new" that you'll stop thinking about it long enough for it to subside permanently? GERD and GAD are terrible and now I realize that life is too short to live like that. Now I'm just down to low back pain and also in the family jewels.. But that's why I fooled my brain last night - I really got one over on it, lol. Suffice it to say it was pretty confused. I got a good laugh and also the pain subsided.

4. tattvamasi

tattvamasi Peer Supporter

What is required for you to heal is 100% acceptance of the fact that your symptoms are psychosomatic. You cannot take drugs and at the same time treat your GERD as TMS. You also cannot avoid certain foods or follow other suggestions, natural or medical, for treating your GERD. If you believed 100% that your symptoms are psychosomatic, i.e. TMS, why would you do all that? You wouldn't. By trying to treat it as TMS and at the same time taking drugs, avoiding certain foods or doing anything else to "fight" your symptoms, you are sending mixed signals to your unconscious mind. Mixed signals won't cure TMS, only certainty will.

So decide if it's TMS or if it's not. Don't be on the fence. If it's TMS, treat it 100% like TMS -- realize, that it is initiated by psychological processes and then let go.

Bitzalel Brown and Sofa like this.
  5. had

had Peer Supporter

This isn't really true as I have had successes with just a "well it SEEMS like it's PROBABLY TMS" based on evidence and lack of a structural problem found, and I am someone who overanalyzes everything and could never be 100% sure on the front side of the experience. All things that can be TMS can be actual medical issues so people will always have doubts. Only once you have experience that a particular thing is NOT medical can you later say "oh hey there is the GERD again that I haven't had for a year and nothing has changed but right now I am super stressed....so piss off TMS GERD". The whole "unless you REALLY BELIEVE" stuff puts unrealistic pressure on people and I have never seen that help.

Lily Rose, Lotus and Sofa like this.
  6. Sofa

Sofa Well known member

The mind body connection....kind of a misnomer because in order to cure the body, the mind must be fooled. I am currently at work building a system that enables us to fool our brains at will and without all the effort. Once completed, TMS will be a thing of the past. Trouble is, I'm worried about a potential side effect. Insanity. So I'll have to work the bugs out.

Lizzy likes this.
  7. had

had Peer Supporter

Please outline your system...I am interested to hear about it.

8. Sofa

Sofa Well known member

Had - My friend...The system is not yet ready, and MUST not be attempted until I work out the kinks in the re-entry phase. As it stands now, the user runs the risk of temporary insanity, and/or vegetative state.
    But once the system is ready it should correct TMS and maybe even declutter our brains a bit in the process! ;)

9. had

had Peer Supporter

I would still like to hear an outline of the basic idea. What is it's basis in physiology....what actions/steps does it involve? You cannot put yourself in a vegetative state without chemical or physical insults to the brain, no psychological work will cause that, so hearing more about what is involved would be helpful. It sounds a bit like nonsensical woo at this point. If it's not, then telling us more would remove that impression. People who have lived with chronic medical issues have seen people make vague and overeaching claims over and over and it never results in anything positive. I think if you have an idea you believe could help people that the responsible thing is to speak openly and clearly about it. Anything less always means someone is either mental, or trying to profit.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    Sofa likes this.
  10. Sofa

Sofa Well known member

Had - I have no interest in selling anything. Nonsensical woo? That's a strong possibility, lol. And I don't blame you for voicing skepticism.
    Only time will tell if we can we trust the system.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  11. had

had Peer Supporter

So why won't you outline the basic idea? Is it meditation? A physical treatment? A chemical one? Etc. You haven't said anything other than avoiding type comments. Please share.

12. Sofa

Sofa Well known member

I want to unveil the system. Trust me. But it seems irresponsible and even reckless. The system is not ready. Patience is required.

13. had

had Peer Supporter

Nope sorry...it's obvious at this point you are full of baloney. I asked clearly more than once for a simple outline of the process and your evasiveness and unwillingness to even describe it is a typical red flag. This has happened before and it will happen again. Always the same pattern of claims, lack of info, and excuses for not sharing more, across many medical conditions and forums.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
  14. Sofa

Sofa Well known member

15. Sofa

Sofa Well known member

Had, thanks for the response I guess. But to lump me into the "snake oil salesmen" category is a bit of a stretch . Firstly I'm not selling anything. Second, I am not trying to convince you (or anyone) that the system will work. I am here to connect with like minded souls that are battling sililar to me.
    The system I'm working on has one major glitch. Re-entry.
    In the meantime...check out "float therapy" online. It's actually a bit like my system albeit much easier to "take the plunge". No pun intended. Okay, pun intended but still...check it out.

16. had

had Peer Supporter

Apologies if I sounded harsh...but as I said it what you have said so far rings all the bells of every nonsensical treatment I have ever seen. It doesn't even have to be a money thing, but often is, it just doesn't pass any logic or smell test so far and all being coy does is make that worse. There is nothing you can do to put yourself in a vegetative state beyond trauma or chemical insults. Not even sensory deprivation float tanks can do that. So when you say how dangerous etc it is it makes me really question things. We have enough woo in the medical world and far too little concrete. That's why Dr. Schubiner's book is so good as it explains the anatomy and physiology, and concrete techniques, but even following that guide isn't a "cure" for TMS. I'd be happy to be proven wrong and find some miracle cure for all of us banishing the TMS parts forever...but it's just not realistic.

Sofa likes this.
  17. Sofa

Sofa Well known member

No apologies necessary my friend. The system will set us free....but to what end. That's the hard part, and why I'm reluctant to share more.
    But what do you think of float therapy.. Does it have value?
    I do feel guilty for being so vague, so I'll share a bit. The basic concept is bait and switch (but every morning). Coupled with double blind test method (think test subjects). Don't worry , you won't need a car battery but you will need electrodes and a smaller 12 volt battery (motorcycle battery). Do you have access to a windowless room?

18. had

had Peer Supporter

Sorry man not putting electrodes from a battery on myself. That's really weird and I'd need a lot more info to even consider it. Float/deprivation therapy is one of those things that's value is way overblown I think. It's an interesting way to relax....and relaxing is good. I can see it having a benefit in combination with lifestyle changes and therapy in some cases. I don't think it's a magical fix any more than Vitamin D supplementation, treating supposed candida infections, meditation or any of the other things people tend to say are some magic bullet and put all the weight on.

Sofa likes this.
  19. Sofa

Sofa Well known member

Thanks for your input on float therapy!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  20. had

had Peer Supporter

It's just my cynical opinion...I have had lots of bad experience with such things out of desperation and feel I have a pretty good bullshit detector at this point...but am not infallible and maybe it's amazing. I have just found that such things are usually inflated as to value, any actual value they have is lost in the bullshit, and they are never cures but at best aomd adjunct to real treatments. I stick to proven and logical things now..."internet forum science" and "bro science" sort of things have never proven of any value in my experience and just cause more anguish and cost.