1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Newby introduction

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by anthony whitty, Sep 25, 2012.

1. anthony whitty

anthony whitty New Member

Hi Everyone,

My name is Anthony and I have just joined the forum as I beleive my chronic foot pain is due to TMS and not any physical issues but here is my LONG story sorry.

My dad passed away 3 years ago from dementia and I was 3 weeks out from a marthon I had been training hard for and this is when my foot issues started. I also have suffered from migranes and stomoach ulcers as a child and have always been an overly competitive pleasing style person and very driven.

I was first dianosed with an inflamed bursa and after 6 months of conservative therapy I had surgery to remove it. I was pain free 6 weeks later and began running and then the pain moved to a different pain of my foot.

After 6 months of going to doctors etc I was diagnosed with sesamoiditis and again after conservative measues failed i had the bone removed. Again approx 8 weeks after the surgery I was moving around really well and was expecting a complete recovery.

I then had a new pain in another slightly different part of my toe. Again after approx 1 year of doctors and stressssssssss about what was wrong I travelled to America and had another surgery from peripheral nerve surgery who found a neuroma.

Again 6 weeks after the surgery I was pain free and sooo relieved. Then after a massage to break up scar tissue I then developed another pain just near the surical site.

I have since had constant pain again (sitting lying standing etc) and this had led me to beleive that I have TMS. I know this is a long story but just thought I would say Hi as I begin the program and really start taking healing into my own hands.
    I thank all the doctors etc for their help, they are only doing their best but now it is my turn to take charge and begin my road to recovery.

Finally I really feel that before I start I really have to believe and look forward to a full recovery of both body and mind.

Thank you for listening

2. Michael Reinvented

Michael Reinvented Peer Supporter

Hi Anthony,

Welcome to a great Community.

We are somewhat aligned. My own Dad's horrible passing with dementia. Driven by exercise (I was belting myself in prep for a 21,000 ft Mt Climb). Foot focus, in my case both... in yours one but sounds like you have given the Surgeons every opportunity to remedy the pain. The foot is such a Miraculous complex structure that it's especially temtping to see pain there as physical and complex. Like you, I have for nearly 3 years. This thinking has only made us both worse, so NO MORE.

The Program here "SEP" will do much to allay fear, a huge factor in recovery from TMS. Get into it, don't obsess on it as a cure, rather a positive step forward.
    Let's face it, once you pass 3 mths in pain and enter the "Chronic" zone one's feelings can become heavily influenced by fear. ( recall...WHY THE #@! is this not healing...???!!)

After 3 years, we are somewhat programmed to fear. Re-programming will take time. Suggest you read Steve Ozanich's Book The Great Pain Deception, he writes vividly of "staring down" foot and leg pain, and of course The Mindbody Prescription. You will feel better.
    MR

3. anthony whitty

anthony whitty New Member

Thanks for the reply Michael and sharing your story as well.

I really hope you are doing better since joining the forum.

I too was doing ultra marathons at the time before all the TMS set in, same as you climbing montains, running 140 km a week.

I was really good at pushing myself way beyond my limits but not really good at listening within. So i think the new me what push myself as hard and will listen more to my emotions and I have no doubt will be a better person for it.

Again thank you for replying and sharing your experience.

Cheers Anthony

4. veronica73

veronica73 Well known member

Welcome, Anthony!

5. Explorer

Explorer Well known member

Anthony - I too am new to the site and just starting my journey. It's hard to retrain the mind as Micheal said, but I do believe it's possible. I am getting ready to read the Mind Body Prescription. I'll let you know how it goes....

6. Explorer

Explorer Well known member

Micheal - quick question. I do you now become obsessed that TMS is the cure. I am already there out buying the books and spending a good bit of time posting.

I can you not become obessed with something that's so hopeful? :)