1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Newbie trying to decide where to start

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Nanny Ogg, Mar 13, 2022.

1. Nanny Ogg

Nanny Ogg Newcomer

Hi I'm new here and just exploring and reading at the moment. I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia 19 years ago and have had varying symptoms since then. I came to realise that my symptoms were related to stress and my mind after about 10 years but didn't know where to find info about it. Then one day I found Curable and realised I was right. I've since read lots and listened to lots of podcasts and it all makes perfect sense but I just don't know where to start with sorting this out. I haven't used Curable apart from the free trial because I couldn't afford it ( even though I thought it was an amazing price )

I'm posting now because over the last year things have got a lot worse and I now feel like my symptoms have gone from being under control to out of control. I feel overwhelmed whenever I try to do anything about my symptoms and so end up doing nothing. I've also lately admitted to myself that I'm now feeling like my symptoms are an excuse to get out of doing things I don't wan to do so this has become a vicious circle in that my brain now produces symptoms whenever it thinks I don't want to do anything whether that's true or not. Is that even possible or am I overthinking

The other question I have is is it possible to get better even if some of the things that are causing you stress are ongoing and not going to change. I've got it into my head that it's hopeless unless the stressful/ upsetting situation changes in which case I'm not going to get better, can I still get better despite the ongoing situation.

I hope I've posted this in the right place and I'm also looking forward to learning how to hopefully control my symptoms so I can get back to doing the things I enjoy

I'm off to bed now as I have work tomorrow but will be back

2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Dear Nanny Ogg,

Welcome to the Wiki and Forum!

It seems you're in the right place, with familiar experiences and questions.

Dr. Sarno tells us this can be addressed to a significant degree by understanding the cause-effect relationships. I think this is true. To know that stress is causing symptoms undercuts the mind's attachment to the cause being physical --mostly because it feels physical, and we're often told it is physical. A very basic principal here is that if know it isn't physical, and you have more and more confidence that it is TMS, and not dangerous to you, the more symptoms will subside.

I suggest you do the Structured Education Program, free at the Wiki. Some of the links are missing, but you can always google and find a similar or the same video, link, etc. Many people have gotten better using this program. There is a whole subforum where you can post your progress by day, or get feedback.

Probably this could be happening, and don't beat yourself up about "overthinking." TMS personality. I suggest you observe and continue to look for connections in yourself as your work goes deeper. There is less to "fix" here than you imagine. It is more about awareness, reassuring yourself, and gentleness to yourself.

A daily mindfulness practice and daily reading success stories will also be helpful.

Andy

3. jaumeb

jaumeb Peer Supporter

Where to start? Watching Sarno on youtube and reading Sarno's books. That's what I did.

4. Nanny Ogg

Nanny Ogg Newcomer

Thank you for the advice,I will have a look at the education programme and the success stories

5. Nanny Ogg

Nanny Ogg Newcomer

I've read all his books

6. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

Sometimes it takes reading repeatedly. I’m on round 3, listening this time. I missed a lot the first few times I read them.

Camarogirl and Nanny Ogg like this.