1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

NEW to TMS

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by jlk125, Jun 16, 2015.

1. jlk125

jlk125 Newcomer

I'm a 37 year old mom of one. I was a teacher. I quit my job 8 years ago to stay at home and raise my son. Now that he is in school full time, I find myself, every year, needing something more to my life. Going back to teaching would be difficult considering my long absence, and I'm not sure that is what I want anymore.
    Last summer, I developed "overactive bladder". I wasn't in pain but I had the feeling of needing to go right after I would go. I was becoming frustrated and depressed. I was put on a medication that helped. Once summer ended and my son went back to school and I taught part time and did a lot of volunteering, my symptoms were gone. I stopped the medication. Then, June rolls around once again, and almost to the day, my symptoms reappeared. I began the medication again, but it doesn't seem to be helping. Right now, I feel a bit stressed and anxious about my situation. It's no fun feeling like you have to pee constantly!

I have ordered one of Dr. Sarno's books and I found this website. I'm hoping that this will help.

2. IrishSceptic

IrishSceptic Podcast Visionary

Check out Dr Eric Robins , a Urologist who is a keen proponent of Sarno.

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, jlk. When we have too much time on our hands, we tend to worry about things including our health and our future.

I think it's great that you are spending some time volunteering. A favorite aunt found it very helpful to her when she spent a few
    hours delivering mail to hospital patients. When I was in a hospital for a hernia a woman came by with a cart of books and I
    found one that I liked and it got me through the hospital stay taking my mind off everything.

My next-door neighbor has two little ones in school and she volunteers there.

Tennis Tom likes this.
  4. jlk125

jlk125 Newcomer

Dear IrishSceptic,

Thank your for your suggestion. I will look into Dr. Robins.

5. jlk125

jlk125 Newcomer

Dear Walt,
    Thank you for your kind words. Yes, too much time can lead to too much thinking and anxiety. For a type A personality like mine, summer and it's laziness can be anything but relaxing.
    I appreciate your response. Reading posts from others and already delving into the book and other readings, my anxiety is lessening and right now, I feel somewhat in control. So far, it's a good day.

PamD likes this.
  6. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Yep, Walt's got it, too much time on your hands to fret. When I'm playing tennis, I can go (actually not go) from 8:30 am to 3:00 pm--not an urge. Before I connected UE to TMS being the "volume control", I would get it bad on plane fights when you can't get up and while driving, usually while coming home or through certain areas like Santa Cruz, CA. When I made the TMS connection, I made a joke of it and went for a record of how many times I could stop and go on the return leg (not my leg) of a driving trip. I went five times in a few hundred miles. After setting my record, it hasn't bothered me since, I figured I couldn't top that. Now if I have an occasional EU, I'll pop a Flomax and not give it another thought.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
  7. jlk125

jlk125 Newcomer

Tennis Tom,

Yes, when I'm working out or involved in a project, I never give my bladder a second thought. That is why I'm so confident this is TMS. So nice to hear you are doing well!

8. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

IrishSceptic likes this.