1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

New to TMS...is pain variable or consistent or does it matter?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by backhand, Jul 7, 2020.

1. backhand

backhand New Member

One of the common giveaways of TMS seems to be that the pain can be variable, almost implying that there can be occasions when there is no pain or perhaps absent certain triggers, the pain is quite a bit less.

How common is it that the pain has been there consistently all the time for an extended period of time, assuming no obvious, outright structural issues? E.g., back pain that can really flare when needing to bend forward but is still there all the time otherwise.

Thanks in advance.

2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi backhand,

What you describe is common with TMS. I would suggest that the pain can come in all flavors, intensities, timing, but that what makes it TMS is the chronic nature of it. That and that there is no real systemic or structural explanation (and if there is, get another opinion).

And, backhand, Welcome here.

Andy

3. backhand

backhand New Member

Thanks, Andy...for the reply and welcome.

4. miffybunny

miffybunny Beloved Grand Eagle

Even with constant pain, you may notice there are times when it is worse or better...waxing and waning. With structural pain (such as a broken bone) it doesn't do that.

5. backhand

backhand New Member

Thanks, mb.

6. LMB

LMB Peer Supporter

I have constant pain for the last few years, it does not go away but some days, hours it changes in intensity. The low back muscles feels strained all the time, sometimes in top of buttocks, MRI and bone scan is normal but so hard to grasp TMS. All started after a trauma experience, all is good now but seems like my body stayed in the fight-flight mode.

7. backhand

backhand New Member

Sorry to hear about your constant pain and your trauma experience. Little consolation in dealing with the moment to moment pain, but at least you seem to know of a specific experience that could have been the catalyst. It seems so many TMS patients have to try to dig and dig to look at countless possible experiences or patterns of behavior from childhood and/or decades following childhood as part of their journey.

I wish you well.

8. backhand

backhand New Member

And should have added that I didn't mean to imply that it's always necessary or even helpful to "dig and dig to look at countless possible experiences or patterns of behavior..." I'm learning that ~effort can be the enemy/exploring the ideas of safety and fear through somatic tracking and other tools seem to be effective. As I've said I am new to this, so how to balance so much of this journey seems tricky right now.

9. LMB

LMB Peer Supporter

No problem, I understand. One day, I believe in TMS and when the pain is at it’s worse, I doubt TMS. It’s a vicious cycle, Miffybunny always has really good advise, I read her post and all makes so much sense but when pain persists, it’s so easy to get discouraged and anxiety sets in. I live in Toronto, Canada and can’t find a TMS Doctor.