1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

New to TMS and Scared

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by greenlamp, Nov 24, 2020.

Tags:
  1. greenlamp

greenlamp Newcomer

Almost over a year ago I developed a burning pain in my left wrist that was attributed to tendinitis from overuse of my hand playing piano. For the next few months, I was in braces on and off, very much cut back on my playing and the pain came and went. Eventually it got to the point where I decided to leave the music school I was studying at during the time. As months passed, nothing really seem to help my wrists. I would have periods where I didn’t have pain, and I would have periods where it felt like I was never gonna be able to do anything with my hands ever again.

eventually, it got to the point where I was in a brace again and was forced to do a lot of manual labor with my other hand at work. A few days later, my right wrist began to start hurting, which led me to being in two braces. I have been through Cortizone shots multiple times, braces on and off, and still I felt no relief. It often seemed that the braces seem to make the pain worse. I had been to multiple doctors who had told me my range of motion was fine, and that I should continue to wear the braces as much as I can, But still try to do my normal activities. I couldn’t fathom why it was taking so long to heal.

A few days ago I discovered an article online describing someone with intense respin who read John Sarnos book The mindbody prescription and had relief from their symptoms. I was skeptical at first, but I have dealt with almost entirely all of the Causes of rage Sarnos described. I am young, and it never made sense to me why all these issues would be happening to my body.

I bought the book and read it in two days. I felt some relief from the pain, and noticed that it did move around in my body. I also noticed the back pain and knee pain I’ve been having since high school could also be attributed to this. I started to exercise again, but the fear that I have messed up my wrists even more still prevails. I am re-reading the book And listening to podcasts, especially the one on this website which seem to make the pain a bit worse after hearing about the physical therapy and wrist ligament tears. Up until tonight after vigorously exercising, I was doing pretty OK. I’ve heard many success stories, and I’m still hopeful. I really want to get better, and I do believe that my pain is due to psychogenic reasons. Even so, it feels impossible to shake the fact that I hurt my body even more, or did something to aggravate the pain.

2. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

You are doing all the right things. It takes patience and faith in one's ability to persevere. Fear is your worst enemy and the best way to overcome it is to strengthen your nervous system. Meditation, exercise, relaxation - all good for you. Remember, there is no standard timeline. It takes some a month, some a year, but you will eventually succeed.

Idearealist and Ellen like this.