1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

New to the site and a few Q's

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Phili101, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Phili101

Phili101 New Member

I have a few questions but not sure where to post them so I will leave them here. 1: can I still go to the gym? 2: My pain can sometimes shift from place to place a number of times in the space of 10mins, is this normal? 3: I have been on an antidepressant for many years should I continue to take this as a safeguard? thanks guys look forward to hearing from you :)

2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Phili101,
    Welcome to the forum!

I'm not a doctor, just another person with TMS, so with that in mind, I will give you my humble opinion to your questions, but first a question for you....

Have you been to a medical doctor to rule out medical/structural causes to your symptoms? That is an absolutely necessary first step. If the answer is 'yes' and you are convinced that you have TMS then (1) yes, you can go to the gym because there is nothing structurally wrong with you (2) yes, it is very common for pain to shift from place to place and this is usually a sure sign of TMS (3) this is such an individualized decision, I'm reluctant to even provide an opinion. I'll just share with you that I, too, have taken an antidepressant for many years and I continue to do so at the present time. I've been able to make progress in my TMS healing while taking it. I may decide to slowly and carefully taper it back when I feel ready.

You will find a great deal of wisdom, experience, compassion, and support on this forum. Share your story with us when you're ready. Best wishes...

3. hecate105

hecate105 Beloved Grand Eagle

Keep going to the gym, but also think about what you do and why you do it. Do you 'push' yourself really hard at the gym? Are you critical of your performance or body? It is the psychological pressures behind what we do that you need to watch out for and identify. See what your patterns are, what pressures you put on yourself, are you doing it cos you 'want' to or because you feel you 'ought' to, or 'have' to? It is really good to stay active and healthy, but just be aware of what goes on in your mind. There is a wealth of pages on this site that can help you with this, good luck.

4. Phili101

Phili101 New Member

thank you!
    I have posted my story on my profile but not sure if that is the correct place for it :)