1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

New to forum, desperate for answers

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Redsoles, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Redsoles

Redsoles Newcomer

Hi

I stumbled across this forum while looking for answers to my symptoms.

Bit of background, I'm 44, female and recently lost 60lbs. I'm about 175lbs now.

I've been concerned about possible colon cancer for a year now due to various tummy grumbles and a reflexologist who told me my descending colon was congested. I also should say that I suffer from health anxiety.

My GP seems to think it's just ibs. The only symptoms I've had are a bit of mucous in stool and upper left abdo pain.

Anyway, the reason I'm here is I have a whole new set of symptoms now. I've had lower back pain on and off for years but it's constant at the moment. My SI joint is tender when pressed. I have numbness down the back of my left thigh and numbness in my left little toe. My wrist joints are also very painful.

I've had tailbone pain on and off for a couple of weeks although that's gone now. The main thing at the moment is pain in my rectum which comes and goes. It's not as bad when standing, seems to be worse lying and sitting. I've had the fleeting knife like pains in rectum which make you catch your breath a couple of times too. Also sometimes when I get up from sitting I get a sharp pain in my right hip which makes me cry out.

The main thing though that's worrying me is the rectal pain and leg numbness. I have a doc appointment on 7 March but until then I'm worried it's something sinister. Can anyone help who has similar symptoms?

2. Redsoles

Redsoles Newcomer

Also I have a pulling feeling across my lower abdomen, like a strain. Again I've had this on and off for years now.

3. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

If your physician can't find anything wrong then you are free to pursue your issues as TMS. IBS and other GI symptoms are usually TMS. Do a search in the above right search box and you'll find plenty about TMS IBS. If your doc isn't worried, YOU shouldn't be either! Anything a "reflexologist", an accupuncturist, a chiroquacter, or most complementary "practitioners" tell you, I would take with a grain of salt. If a real doctor can't find anything seriously wrong requiring treatment, there probably isn't anything structurally amiss. They do all the tests so they don't miss anything, getting sued for malpractice, having their insurance rates go up. One thing modern defensive medicine is good at is dx'ing real things that are serious.

See a TMS physician for an objective dx that includes the mind part of the health equation, there's a list of them at this site by state and country.

g'luck!
    tt

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
    Ellen likes this.
  4. MindBodyPT

MindBodyPT Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Redsoles,

I definitely agree with Tennis Tom on his point...most of those symptoms are common TMS variants. However, make sure you get a thorough checkup with your GP just to be safe. Unexplained weight loss of that amount is reason to check and be sure everything is ok and there isn't anything going on. The symptoms of rectal pain and leg numbness don't mean anything on their own...most of us on here have had some of those issues as well! Also i'd take things a reflexologist or other alternative practitioners tell you with a major grain of salt, many are not very evidence-based and also don't know about TMS theory. Hope your appointment goes well!

Tennis Tom likes this.
  5. Tennis Tom

Hi Redsoles, to better understand your issues, how many doctor visits have you had in the past year?

6. Redsoles

Redsoles Newcomer

Thanks. The weight loss was intentional.

In the past year I've seen her maybe four or five times. She has only done bloods and a calprotectin test. I feel she hasn't done all the tests to rule out anything sinister and that's why I'm still worrying.

Tennis Tom likes this.
  7. Tennis Tom

Thanks for the reply Redsoles, the reason I asked was after thinking about it, I said what if your docs did miss something? Although doubtful it could happen. If you've seen your doc that many times, which is not a whole lot for a TMS'er with multiple symptoms. I think if there was anything seriously wrong it would have been picked up by now in your tests and by your doc--that's what they do and allopathic medicine has become good at dx'ing structural things--too good at times, missing the emotional TMS dx and laying cause on a benign normal anatomical anomaly, what Dr. Sarno sometimes referred to as "gray hair of the spine".

Since you are still anxious about something like cancer being missed, and that would be a huge cause for concern, go back to your doctor and discuss your concerns and have her answer your questions fully until you are no longer worried. If she doesn't have time or can't satisfy your worries, get a second opinion or as many as you need until you have your answers.

Have you looked at the list of TMS physicians for one in your vicinity? That's what I recommend and what TMS experts also recommend when someone is anxious about their dx's.

Kudos on your weight loss!