1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Daniel L. New symptoms

Discussion in 'Ask a TMS Therapist' started by CMA, Aug 27, 2014.

1. CMA

CMA Peer Supporter

This question was submitted via our Ask a TMS Therapist program. To submit your question, click here.

Question
    Hello
    I came across Dr. Sarno 2 yrs ago and treated my foot pain and other muscular pains. Still working on my anxiety. For the past 1 week i am experiencing some belly ache and irritable bowel symptoms...Wondering if I should be worried or if I should try to ignore as TMS.
    Thank you

2. Daniel G Lyman LCSW

Daniel G Lyman LCSW TMS Therapist

Answer
    Long answer: I’m glad to hear you were successful in treating your foot pain and other muscular pains through a TMS approach. Because you were successful with a TMS approach in the past, there’s a strong chance that you will manifest other TMS symptoms again in the future. First and foremost we all always encourage individuals to have a doctor look at them to rule out something more serious like Crohns or ulcerative colitis, but my gut is telling me that you’re not dealing with that. What you’re dealing with is fear. Everyone gets a belly ache and some IBS symptoms (diarrhea, constipation, etc.) from time to time. This is totally normal. Your fear of what the belly ache and irritable bowel might become, however, is perpetuating the symptoms.

Short answer: Don’t worry, you’re fine.

Any advice or information provided here does not and is not intended to be and should not be taken to constitute specific professional or psychological advice given to any group or individual. This general advice is provided with the guidance that any person who believes that they may be suffering from any medical, psychological, or mindbody condition should seek professional advice from a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions. No general advice provided here should be taken to replace or in any way contradict advice provided by a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions.

The general advice and information provided in this format is for informational purposes only and cannot serve as a way to screen for, identify, or diagnose depression, anxiety, or other psychological conditions. If you feel you may be suffering from any of these conditions please contact a licensed mental health practitioner for an in-person consultation.

Questions may be edited for brevity and/or readability.

Seraphina, Forest and Tennis Tom like this.
  3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

CMA, Daniel Lyman is right... you have some TMS pain but just keep working to reduce your anxiety.
    Breathe deeply, live in the present moment, don't worry. Distract your mind with happy things to do
    and think about.

4. CMA

CMA Peer Supporter

Sorry just saw this when I logged in again...Thanks so much Daniel and Walt. I am still having IBS symptoms...Can you or somebody pin point me to any document or link that suggests how to identify an issue is TMS? I remember reading it somewhere...Thanks so much

5. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

6. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

7. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

In the end, if you want to know what is going on in your particular case, you have to go see a TMS doctor. For general information, often, I'll just look the condition up in the indexes of a couple of TMS books. Steve Ozanich's book has a great index you can look at. You can also search our entire site using Google technology at search.tmswiki.org. We've got about 12,000 web pages in the search index now, so it is really a terrific resource, and free! Finding someone's success story can be particularly helpful.

Finally, for IBS, my gut says (sorry :wtf:) that it is TMS. But I'd still see a doctor to rule out anything organic.