1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

New Symptom

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Elena99, Aug 16, 2015.

1. Elena99

Elena99 New Member

I've had TMS for about a year now, but it's been mostly in my arms/shoulder blades, particularly in my elbow (I thought I had tendonitis at first). I read Healing Back Pain in June, and started the program then. I finished the program a little while ago. I still have pain in my arms, but it's been manageable and (I hope) fading.

Recently, I developed a new symptom: pain in my mid-lower back. It started in the night; early Friday morning my back hurt on my right side (I usually sleep on my right side) and I had to turn to my other side. I couldn't sleep on that side anymore. During the day, it hurt, and I found I couldn't take a deep breath without a spasm of pain. Laughing hurt, sneezing, etc. I had not done anything particularly strange on Thursday, I was mostly sitting around, playing video games, knitting, hanging out with my boyfriend, etc. Friday night, I was laying down trying to sleep and it hurt a lot, I couldn't find a comfortable position. I felt like I was having trouble breathing and I worried that something was wrong with my lungs. I talked to my boyfriend about it for a while, and we googled symptoms (I know that's bad, but we stuck to webmd), and we decided to go to the emergency room. I was still in a lot of pain. At ER, I was triaged and told to wait. Because I'm in Canada, it's free to go to ER, but the wait is really long. We waited for 3.5 hours. I felt stable, but in pain with trouble breathing. We finally gave up when it was 20 to 4, I couldn't stand waiting anymore, and just went home. I was able to sleep a little bit. Next day I had pain, tried to go for a walk, and last night I was able to sleep okay, but still not on that side. Today, Sunday, pain is still there, but I think a little better.

So the entire time this has been going on, I was wondering, is this TMS? I had not had it in my back before, but I know that symptoms move around, especially when it starts to get better. The spasms are pretty intense, but that's what a lot of people with TMS feel, right? How should I approach this?

I have also had a LOT of stress recently. I lost my job at the end of June (and it was a very stressful job, but I needed the money, and I liked it except for one person there who had power over me and treated me badly), then my boyfriend and I moved the next day (to a more expensive, bigger apartment, which we got because I thought I was safe in my job. The termination was really sudden and unexpected), and there's been a lot of little problems with the apartment. Nothing major, but the power suddenly being cut off because there was a misunderstanding, and the lack of screens in two of our windows, etc. I've been looking for a job, and so has my boyfriend, and a former boss said she'd try to hire me but had to get approval. Well the funny thing is on Friday, AFTER the pain started, I got an email saying that I got the job and will have contract work for the next 4 months (I start next week) so I'll have a job for a while.

Does that mean, though, that anytime I start to have stress, the pain is going to come? I felt like I was dealing with everything, being in tune with my emotions, but maybe not. It's very frustrating. Is this still TMS?

2. Elena99

Elena99 New Member

I went for a run today (well, walk/jog intervals, the first day of the C25K program) it felt good, though I still have that little spasm sometimes with a deep breath. It's like it catches. Hopefully it will go away.