1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

New Study On Knee and Hip Replacements and Cardio Issues

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Tennis Tom, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

2. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Interesting. Looks like cutting up the leg leads to problems elsewhere.... It's all connected.

3. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

I do know a girl who's late father had total hip replacement surgery followed by a massive lethal heart attack about 6-month later when he was a little over 50. That's pure anecdote I realize, but it stands to reason that putting yourself through an invasive procedure is bound to stress the ticker. Stress testing any system can reveal inherent faults in that system.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
    mike2014 and Tennis Tom like this.
  4. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

Thanks for that insight Bruce.

They say that suffering loneliness and being isolated can weaken the heart. So not having a strong support network while you are ill can also contribute to poor health.

BruceMC and Tennis Tom like this.
  5. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

Don't think the girl's father was very isolated or suffering from loneliness. He was in fact surrounded by a loyal and loving family. My take on it is that he was returning to working out full time when he was, maybe, 50 lbs overweight. That's a factor too. Coming back from hip surgery too fast? But you never know, do you? The way things appear on the surface and the way they are inside can be worlds apart.

mike2014 likes this.
  6. IrishSceptic

IrishSceptic Podcast Visionary

I studied this and if I recall some hip replacements can leach out material and some of the wear that occurs between the ceramic/steel joint interface can start a process of inflammation that may contribute to a heart attack. The more modern types don't however so maybe stress is the differential. Obviously major invasive surgery is an ordeal for anyone let alone elderly folk.

mike2014 and Tennis Tom like this.