1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

new pain, new injury, new tms sign?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by stevow7, Jan 31, 2018.

1. stevow7

stevow7 Well known member

so after recoverying from herniated disc (tms 100%)i returned to weightlift. but heres the thing, i went back to deadlift and everytime i do it i get pain that last days. it comes and goes,i posted my form doing it and 90% of all the people said i was doing it in good form, but i still get pain. now my question is, when it comes to tms, does form actually matter, does stretching matter?i dont do all this to relieve the pain. but why does the pain actually persist? i see videos on youtube of people using all back when doing 300+ pounds deadlift and are fine. but im at 180 and feel like not doing it again. do you guys not do certain exercises because it causes pain? a part of my brain is telling me NOT to do it again. ;/

2. birdsetfree

birdsetfree Well known member

Sounds like you are still preoccupied with the pain to me. Lift whatever you want. If you feel good about lifting 180, do that, if not, lift a lighter weight. My point is the focus should be on what you feel like doing, not on not lifting certain weights because you are afraid of damage to your spine. It is ok to drop the weight and build up your mental and physical confidence and slowly increase the weight.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  3. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

I certainly believe that warming up and correct form are essential for engaging in extreme exercise - that's just common sense.

If there is no reason for the pain, that's your brain playing tricks, because the pain message originates in your brain. It's the same mechanism as phantom limb pain, where we KNOW for sure that there is absolutely no reason for the pain to exist. It can't exist! And yet, it does. And phantom limb pain can be retrained. Check out this fascinating Ted Talk: VS Ramachandran presents three case studies, all of them fascinating, but the phantom limb one starts at about 9 minutes in if you're short on time: https://www.ted.com/talks/vilayanur_ramachandran_on_your_mind (3 clues to understanding your brain)

karinabrown likes this.