1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Alan G. New online 8-week group for TMS patients

Discussion in 'Ask a TMS Therapist' started by Alan Gordon LCSW, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Alan Gordon LCSW

Alan Gordon LCSW TMS Therapist

Hi all,
    One of the Pain Psychology Center's therapists, Danielle Brown, is starting up an 8-week long group for TMS patients. Danielle is an experienced TMS therapist, as well as a longtime teacher of meditation and the art of self-compassion. I believe this group will be very valuable, as it covers one of the most important components of TMS recovery.

Copying and pasting details below.

Alan

Mission of the Course:
    The purpose of this 8-week course is to teach clients the art (and some science) of being more present with themselves with kindness and compassion as part of the larger goal of changing the brain in ways that support long-term TMS recovery. Many studies demonstrate that brief interventions to increase self-compassion produce meaningful psychological and neurological changes, and that self-compassion is closely related to mental and physical well-being.

Dealing with TMS can feel like a lonely journey with constant second guessing, not measuring up, and feeling
    overwhelmed. This series offers clients who are in the process of recovering from TMS (whether at the beginning, middle, or end of that journey!) the opportunity to come out of isolation and feel support and connection with others on the same path, while learning kind self-care and simple strategies for relating differently to yourself and to your pain. Class activities will include guided meditations, short talks, experiential exercises, group discussions, and home practices. All material is geared to be immediately integrated.

Some of the topics we will explore:
    • How to cultivate kindness and compassion towards yourself and your pain
    • How to change your relationship with your inner bully
    • Practical ways to grow your capacity for joy and other positive emotions
    • The science of self-regulation
    • Identifying your triggers and developing tools to respond in new ways

Logistics & Stipulations:
    This online course has space for 8 clients; I will be giving short talks, guiding meditations, and facilitating group discussions. Clients need not also be in individual therapy, although it would be beneficial. The class will meet each Wednesday (TBD) for 8 consecutive weeks for 60 minute sessions. It’s important to note that the group will not be a therapy group, but rather a chance to learn how to practice self-compassion and to connect with and support others on the path to recovery. Each session will be $30 per client, charged whether the client can participate in that particular session or not.

To register for the group or for additional information, please email Danielle@painpsychologycenter.com or call 310 995 9856.

Danielle

Danielle Brown, MA, JD
    Psychotherapist
    www.painpsychologycenter.com
    Danielle@painpsychologycenter.com
    310-995-9856

Forest, Cap'n Spanky and Laudisco like this.
  2. Stella

Stella Well known member

I think this sounds fantastic.

3. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

4. Markus

Markus Guest

There's a charge?

5. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

"Each session will be $30 per client, charged whether the client can participate in that particular session or not. "

6. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

Cheap considering .

7. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Agreed. I was thinking of participating myself, just for what I would learn from it, but didn't want to take one of the seats away from someone else. (there's only 8)

8. Alan Gordon LCSW

It looks like there's been enough interest to form two different groups, Forest. So there should be room if you're interested.

Forest likes this.
  9. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Good to know. I'll think about it, but in the last couple of days it has sunk in just how busy I'm going to be in the next several weeks. Plus, with my symptoms pretty much resolved, the real engine driving treatment has lessened.

10. tammyg

tammyg New Member

I am interested in participating in this class. Do you know what time on Wed.this will be held?

11. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Is this going to be a tele-conference or a computer chat?

12. Alan Gordon LCSW

TT, I believe it's going to be google hangout, or some other computer-based medium. I imagine there will be a phone number to call in for those that don't have computer access. Tammy, I'm not sure, you can email Danielle@painpsychologycenter.com and get the specifics. I believe she's planning a second group for Saturday afternoons.