1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

New on this thread and in need of some advice

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by frank511, Jun 4, 2014.

1. frank511

frank511 New Member

Hi everyone,

I'm frank and I just joined this forum. I am very pleased to have found a forum dedicated to TMS. So a little history on myself. I'm 21 years old and was diagnosed with back pain when I was 18 years old. At the time, we thought that I had a bulging discs and sooner afterwards, an MRI showed what everyone had been saying about my back. Anyway, 3 years of seeing different physios, chiros, acupuncture, I didn't know what to do anymore UNTIL I stumbled upon a video about some guy talking about John Sarno's books. I immediately picked up a book about a month ago and i'm still in the process of reading.

Anyway, I am reading his book about "healing back pain" and soon after I'm done reading that book, I will proceed to read about the "mind body prescription." My problem at the moment is that I just started a new job about a week ago and before starting the job, my back pain would be focused on tense muscle. I would stretch in the morning and so forth. But now that I have the job, It feels as though my disc is inflaming and not my muscles anymore. Frankly I would much rather have sore lower back muscles that feel my disc hurt.

Can anyone throw at me any guidance or help me figure out what is going on? If you have any advice, it would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

Eric "Herbie" Watson and Enrique like this.
  2. Stella

Stella Well known member

Start the 42 day Structured Education Program.... front page of the TMSwiki down the left side.

I have numerous back problems plus many other symptoms. My guess is all the TMS personality traits are kicking in: fear of failure, fear of making a mistake, not doing things perfectly, beating yourself on the head, trying to please everyone,

Also the pain can get worse as you contemplate the Sarno approach. The mind is trying to distract you with more pain to keep you focused on the physical and away from the psychological. Talk to it (it's a mental thing). I don't care how bad you make me hurt. I am going down this path no matter what.

You can do it. You are going on an amazing journey.

Ellen and Eric "Herbie" Watson like this.
  3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

4. frank511

frank511 New Member

Hey guys! Thanks so much for the kinda response! :) It's really appreciated. I'm going to get started on what both of you two mentioned and monitor my progress. I am very hopeful, so we'll have to see what happens

Cheers!