1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by lauried1020, Jan 17, 2014.

1. lauried1020

lauried1020 New Member

Hi everyone! Hope someone can give some advice. I had lower back pain for about 15 years until I was finally introduced to "TMS" which really was a life saver. I believe in it 100% and have informed many other people about it. So whats the problem?
    In April of 2014 I had "neck lift" surgery. for two monthes following I had tingling and a strangulation feeling. (Those are normal recovery syptoms). They went away COMPLETELY for three monthes and then they came back. I went to a neurologist who did two MRIs, one for the brain and one for the cervical spine. He told me everything is perfect, take some xanax.
    Here's where I need some help. First, can TMS give you those sensations that I'm having and second is how come if I do believe its TMS and I've been working on it then why isn't it going away. Thanks to whoever can advise!!!

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  2. Alex Bloom LCSW

Alex Bloom LCSW TMS Therapist

Tingling, tightness and neck pain can definitely be associated with TMS. Are those the sensations you're talking about? Secondly, a question for you: What exactly do you mean when you say that you are "working on it"? Have you begun to change your relationship to the pain itself? Have you looked into some the underlying issues that may be causing it? I would love to give some advice, but please share a little bit about your progress so we can all have an idea of where you are at so far.

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  3. lauried1020

lauried1020 New Member

4. lauried1020

lauried1020 New Member

Yes, those are the sensations but they are in the front of the neck. It replicates the same sensation that I had right after the surgery. When I say I'm working on it I'm referring to the fact that I'm telling myself that it's just emotional pin, not a physical problem and nothing went wrong during the surgery. And I do believe that but for whatever reason I don't feel I'm improving and it's been several weeks of working on that. I'm not taking any medication and I'm trying to think positively thru out the day. I also am not doing any physical therapy, acupuncture etc. So at this point I'm a little lost.

5. David B

David B Well known member

Have you tried the Structured Education Program or Dr. Schubiner's program in Unlearn Your Pain? I know you believe it and have been working on it. My experience, my therapist's and my neurologist's is everyone's process is different including the time to recover. Having a structure to keep you persistent is critical.

Finding the balance of enough effort and work is also key and suspect different for each of us as well but I believe a bit every day is important. You can, you must take charge of your own recovery even if you are working with a therapist. I still get the thoughts of "am I doing this right?" even though I have been fortunate to experience a lot of progress in 5 weeks.

Try different writing techniques. Try reading different material on this site and in the many books that have been written by doctors. Different affirmations. Use different self talk. It reminds me of when I had time to golf and found that for driving I had to change my swing thought every few weeks, for putting I had the same routine and no swing thought, for irons it was a different approach.

Follow your gut but stay with it.

My favorite quote from the structured education program is on my desk so I see it every day. It is my inspiration. I hope it helps you

"Hang in there. Breathe and relax. You have found the answer. Be patient. Be persistent. Your body is telling you to take care of yourself. You are enough"

Ellen likes this.
  6. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

David B, that's a really good affirmation from the SEP program. So much wisdom in so few words.