1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

New Member with Chronic Fatique & Brain Fog

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Will G., Jan 19, 2016.

1. Will G.

Will G. Newcomer

This is my first post. I discovered TMS about 3 weeks ago from my brother (long-time FM sufferer). I have read Dr. Sheckter's book and started using the workbook/journal yesterday. I also started therapy about two mos. ago. It's been a difficult journey to get to this point. I never thought I would be inclined to discuss my heath and emotions on line with strangers but here goes...
    Nine years ago I was a highly functioning person. Then I suddenly became extremely fatigued and experienced constant debilitating brain fog. Since then I have seen over 50 Dr's. and had too many test and studies to remember. I was initially diagnosed with sleep apnea, ultimately having MAA jaw surgery in 2008 with no change in symptoms. I have had to dramatically change my life, I am barely holding on to my career and my social life is non existent.
    Additional symptoms include dizziness, tinnitus and some minor migrating muscle/joint pain. Fragmented and un-restorative sleep is a constant part of my life. I have difficulty focusing and cognition feels impaired as does memory.
    Based on my recent TMS research and reading, my hypothesis is that a highly stressful childhood (alcoholic father) caused mal-developed brain function, specifically impaired autonomic system as is related to processing stress/anxiety. This results in reduced blood flow and oxygenation of brain tissue, causing my symptoms. There are many aspects of my history which support this conclusion including a high stress career. I also have many of the personality traits associated with TMS.
    Besides doing this post for the therapeutic benefit, I would like some guidance. All of the written material I have seen on TMS focused on pain symptoms. While I have read various post and heard mention of brain fog on recordings/videos, I think I would benefit from a more in-depth treatment of this aspect of TMS. I know I am harboring a little doubt about the TMS diagnosis and anything to reinforce my self-diagnosis would be helpful. I do have an appointment with a TMS MD in 3 weeks which should go a long way towards firming up my believe in the diagnosis.
    Thank you for any suggestions.

2. Susan1111

Susan1111 Well known member

Hi Will G welcome to this wonderful Community of caring people in all stages of TMS.
    Although I read Dr Sarno's books and saw myself I personally needed a confirmed diagnosis by a TMS MD, it sounds to me that you might need that confirmation as well. You will have that in 3 weeks. Not everyone is fortunate to have that resourse available to them.

In the interim keep your mind focused psychological perhaps try some journaling and or mindfulness meditation. Fairly easy steps that can be helpful regardless of your diagnosis.
    Wishing you well on your journey.
    Warmly, Susan

mike2014 likes this.
  3. Will G.

Will G. Newcomer

Hi Susan,
    Thanks for the reply and suggestions.

4. balto

balto Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Will, I had every symptoms you're having and much more. Brain fog is the one I hated the most. I suffered from multiple mind body symptoms for decades before I found doctor Sarno, doctor Claire Weekes, ... They saved me and they will save you too. Just read more, learn more and most important, be patient.
    Read the success stories (read my for list of symptoms I had), you will see how people over came their tms/anxiety ills. The stories will inspire you and will give you hint on how to get your old self back.
    good luck.

5. chickygirl

chickygirl Newcomer

how are you now ? <3