1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

New here - moving pain

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Aucklander, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Aucklander

Aucklander Peer Supporter

Hi All,

The doctors want to operate for a herniated disc which I have declined due to a botched tonsillectomy in February that left me in intensive care for a month.I discovered TMS earlier this year through Dr Sopher's book after getting out of hospital and in severe back pain, to have the pain after reading the book vanish only to return a fortnight later. I then read Healing Back Pain by Dr Sarno and the Unlearn your Pain. My pain has diminished to no longer require pain killers, but the Tension remains. My lower back/hip is sticking out to the right and I am struggling to get it to straighten up with occasional tightness/pain in my neck and shoulders.
    I am exercising, but not back to where I was pre-operation but getting there. I am sometimes so tense that running is restricted, I embarrassingly lost a Tennis game to my girlfriends mother a couple weeks ago, lol, that is inexcusable for a former professional athlete.

Has anyone had similar symptoms? Any suggestions on what may be done to improve my situation?

Regards,

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  2. nowtimecoach

nowtimecoach Well known member

Hi Bjorn... sorry for your loss of the tennis game to your girlfriend's mother ;) I had to laugh. Its wonderful that you're able to play!! I am not one of those whose pain disappeared with reading the literature. So I have to practice patience and remind myself of how bad it was this time last year. It helps me to keep things in perspective. I also figure its good for me to have slow progress so I remember what it was like and appreciate the things I can do... which means resuming long distance cycling. I'm up to 37 miles and in my prime athletic days that would mean a warm up. But with my new recovery it means tremendous progress. I just keep trying to look at the things that have changed for the better - rather than focus on the outcome I really want NOW!. ha-ah This is the line of yours that I really liked My pain has diminished to no longer require pain killers, but the Tension remains. Right on dude that the pain no longer requires pain killers!! Whoo-Hoo!!

Dahlia likes this.
  3. Aucklander

Thanks nowtimecoach. I realise I need to put the outcomes in perspective and be glad and grateful that I am heading in the right direction.

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Aucklander. I'd love to play tennis with you because I love the sport but never won a match. And that was before
    I had back pain.

Hey, you're going to feel great and whip the panties off your girlfriend's mother. I'd put money on it.
    Just keep practicing the TMS healing techniques on TMSWiki and believing your pain is 100 percent from TMS
    repressed emotions. We all have them and when we learn what they are, our pain goes away.

I'm going to look up Auckland but think it's in Australia. I can hear you laughing.

5. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

I was close. New Zealand.
    I've never been down there or to Australia but loved some Aussie movies I've seen.
    You're in beautiful country and it's considered one of the best places to live.

Now we just have to get you back to winning tennis matches.

6. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

I live in a Chicago suburb. Three inches of snow yesterday, and four more due overnight tonight, and
    zero temperature. Want to trade places?

7. Aucklander

Yes New Zealand and Australia are beautiful countries to live in. Like The US and Canada less the freezing winters or frozen lakes.

8. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Don't forget... Dr. Sarno says herniated discs do not cause pain, so if I were told I needed an operation,
    I'd say no, thanks, and look into my repressed emotions.

One of my heroes is Aussie opera star David Hobson. I've seen some of his operas on tv and DVD.
    He is also very good singing popular songs and writes them, too.