1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

New Dr

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Boston Redsox, Feb 7, 2016.

1. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

Thx Susan….yes the Dr was very supportive and understanding ….he said there is no reason to take a med if it does not work I was talking about all the pain meds I was taking before.. what I don't care for the he prescribed Trazodone for sleep its a antidepressant but at a much higher dose 150-200mg he gave me 50 mg to take…

I told him my concerns, he said to take it as needed does not need to be taken everyday and most important its not a benzo or opiod. Would like someone to chime in if they have taken this for sleep

2. Susan1111

Susan1111 Well known member

I just did a Google search for Trazodone and it says its used for major depression and or insomnia.
    I don't know who advised you to cut out all medication. You're going through such a difficult time...Marco I'm not a pill pusher but sometimes we need some extra help its not a life commitment. And so what if you took an anti anxiety or something to fight depression? You need rest and to be able to think clearly that's good self care with compassion.

3. Boston Redsox

Susan it was my decision to cut out mainly my pain meds and the antidepressant I was taking for 8 weeks had to many sides effects ...but you are right about going threw a lot and In a few weeks when my soon to be ex comes back home i need to move out and I am sure I will be a emotional mess so maybe I should take it to sleep anyway because 4-5 a night is not good

4. Susan1111

Marco please do. See if getting sleep helps to clear your mind. If you need to try another anti depressant do so or just something like klonopin for anxiety which you can take when needed. I feel as though you're being very tough on yourself. Show yourself kindness!!!

mike2014, Forest and Boston Redsox like this.
  5. Boston Redsox

Thx Susan ....and maybe I am a little it's just that anything I have taken never really helped .

6. Susan1111

No magic pill takes away the emotional pain you're feeling. Wouldn't that be great.
    Get the prescription filled today and get some sleep tonight!

Boston Redsox likes this.
  7. Boston Redsox

I will give it a shot....God Bless us all

mike2014, Forest and Susan1111 like this.
  8. Phaedrus

Phaedrus New Member

Sleep is hugely important. Dr. Hansom says the following about it in his book, Back in Control:

Sleep
    Incorporating sleep into my treatment of pain was my first step in conceiving the DOCC program. I felt I had a whole new weapon that was very effective and simple. Once I was 39 successful in getting my patients to sleep better, there was always some improvement in their sense of well-being if not also in their pain.

Most patients with chronic pain sleep poorly and are tired during daylight hours. They often feel pain more keenly at night, when they have fewer distractions, and a good night’s sleep is difficult to attain. But without adequate sleep, quality of life is compromised and day-to-day stress and pain are difficult to handle. Perception of pain is altered.

I started to incorporate sleep treatment into my practice around 1997. If a patient had an acute problem such as a ruptured disc, I would use sleep medications in addition to any pain medications. It was much easier for my patients to make it through the healing process if they were able to sleep well. Whenever chronic pain was involved, the results were the same: with consistent sleep, a patient’s mood and coping mechanisms would improve over two to four weeks. If they could not get enough sleep, I would aggressively keep switching meds until we found the right treatment. Not sleeping was not an option.

The first step in the DOCC program is to get at least a month of adequate sleep. It is an integral part of calming down the nervous system. None of the other elements of the program will be effective unless you are rested. Many adults think they can get by on less than eight hours of sleep, but consider it a minimum. Most people, especially if they have chronic pain, do not experience a full night’s sleep consistently.

There was one study done in which female volunteers were measured in terms of the quality of their Stage V sleep, also called REM sleep, for a period of time. This is the stage where the most dreaming takes place. It was discovered that the less amount (and poorer quality) a subject’s REM sleep , the higher her sensitivity to pain.13

I had one fifty-year-old businessman who had experienced chronic neck pain for almost two years. There was no specific injury. He continued to work as an owner of a small accounting firm but was miserable. Extensive physical therapy had been no help. I started a strong sleep medication, which immediately allowed him to sleep a full night. After two weeks, the medication was still working well and the plan was to start him on an aggressive physical therapy program. However, by his eight-week visit I was surprised to find he was completely pain free. The power of sleep had never been so apparent.

Again, my first obligation is to simply get my patients to sleep well. Patients argue with me that it’s impossible to sleep with the pain. There are very few situations, though, where the right combination of medications won’t yield a consistent good night’s sleep in spite of the pain.​

Later on he has another section, too:

In treating chronic back pain, sleep is the trump card. All of the other variables affect
    sleep and sleep affects the other variables. I will see my patients back frequently
    specifically to check on sleep. If you have sleep issues, you should do the same with your
    own doctor. Not sleeping well is not an option in the successful treatment of chronic pain.
    It’s common to experience more pain at night than during the day since there are
    not as many distractions. There are multiple strategies to obtain a good night’s sleep
    regardless of whether you are experiencing pain. They include:

• Sleep hygiene
    • Medications
    • Stress management at bedtime
    • Treatment of an underlying sleep disorder​

He has a section on each of the four strategies on pages 51-55 of his book, and they all made sense to me. He actually uploaded a draft of the entire book up onto his site where you can download it for free: http://www.drdavidhanscom.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Final-Manuscript-6-29-12.pdf

I found the book incredibly helpful in my recovery from TMS relapses and would recommend the download for anyone interested in TMS. I figured that if a successful spinal surgeon was telling me that mindbody worked and that I didn't need surgery, then it must be true. I think the only reason he cares so much is that he had TMS, too - just about every symptom. He talks all about it in the book.

mike2014 likes this.
  9. intense50

intense50 Well known member

He is right if you were diabetic you would not hesitate to take medication.

Do be hard on yourself. Life is good .

10. Susan1111

@Phaedrus wow that is great! Thanks for sharing this info as it certainly confirms my thoughts.
    @Boston Redsox make sure to read!! I hope what Dr Hanson says will give you more confidence to get sleep even with the help of a pill!!

11. Phaedrus

Phaedrus New Member

Thanks, Susan. It's a great book and definitely worth downloading for anyone in pain.

Susan1111 likes this.
  12. Boston Redsox

Love Dr H system.. I have is book

Susan1111 likes this.
  13. intense50

intense50 Well known member

Trazodone is non addictive. 50 mg to sleep. This is minimal . I was using some and still have them on the shelf. Basically after 30 days I put them away. I sleep naturally now.