1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

New Dr

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Boston Redsox, Feb 7, 2016.

1. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

I am going to a new dr for my physical this year and I wonder if I should bring up all my tms issues I don't want to start the whole going down the road of test and all the other bullshit.

2. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

I would avoid bringing it up. You've come too far to to spoil the good work. He may not necessarily share the same views and pull you back into the realms of fear, doubt etc. Follow your instincts and gut... They will lead you to peace within and good health.

3. Boston Redsox

I feel the same way Mike as I am sitting here with major tms this evening

4. blake

blake Well known member

Hi there,

Get to know the doctor a bit first.

I told my doctor about tms and she was extremely happy for me and gave me two thumbs up. But I've known her for years, so the trust was there. Without knowing anything about your new doc, I wouldn't venture down that road yet.

5. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

Marco,

I'd listen to @blake she's handy at Karate :)

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
    blake likes this.
  6. Boston Redsox

Thx you both

blake likes this.
  7. blake

blake Well known member

Wouldn't say handy... the correct image of me doing karate is more Mr. Bean, less Jackie chan. but I still really love it.

mike2014 and Boston Redsox like this.
  8. Susan1111

Susan1111 Well known member

Red Sox I know I'm going against the majority here but upon meeting a new Dr I think indeed you should give them a full picture of your health. You can also explain how an why you are handling it. Keep it brief. But certainly tell
    Informing this Dr will also give you an idea of their belief system and how they practice medicine.
    I believe you want to form a good working relationship with this person and leaving out medical information is not the thing to do

Forest and Tennis Tom like this.
  9. Stella

Stella Well known member

I started with a new doctor March 2015. I quickly summarized my past and incredible progress. She listened and congratulated me. I didn't discuss current symptoms because I know how to manage them. Like you I am not interested ín any test plus I have a $6800 deductible.

10. Boston Redsox

mmmm, this also makes sense to me…I was leaning that way to begin with its such a trap. I am not going to stress over this plus since facing my tms 100% and dumping my meds my levels of pain have been higher side then with them…which I know its fear kicking in telling me WHAT ARE YOU DOING DUMPING THOSE MEDS.

I am going to spill my guts regarding me divorce and moving out of my home, which as its own level of anxiety but I am keeping that in check because I am going to my brother home and have a support system for me to lean on

Forest and Tennis Tom like this.
  11. blake

blake Well known member

So glad you're getting support from your brother, redsox. It's so important not to go it alone.

12. Boston Redsox

Thx Blake and he's only a couple miles down ths street so not to far from my kids which is huge

Forest and blake like this.
  13. tgirl

tgirl Well known member

Boston I am glad you have support. It sounds to me like your fear level has lessened. Fantastic.

Fear is such an awful, paralyzing feeling, and certainly counterproductive. I know I have dealt with it for a long time. I find when I am doing things that are even slightly fulfilling my fear diminishes. When my mind is too idle - yikes!

Forest likes this.
  14. Boston Redsox

Same with me ….. but we can't always be in moving and being distracted either thats exhausting, some times we need to sit with our fear and say..you are not going to scare me. Stand up to it.

Forest and tgirl like this.
  15. tgirl

tgirl Well known member

That is true. When I am still and feel fear I tend to read affirmations or anything positive.

16. Boston Redsox

had physical today with new Dr spilled my guts on all my issues, he took at least 20 min to listen and go over my issues, he believes my pain is due to stress and nothing more , but he said he was running some test on my thyroid and liver just to make sure, other than that I told him sleeping was 4-5hrs max could not stay asleep he gave me a sleep aid to try and nothing more. Anyway he did not scare me with any BS test to take ,I did not get into TMS and all that with him, at the moment maybe I won't .I need to give myself some time with the process even though I been on the wiki for over year I have not accepted TMS 100 percent, not until I gave up and got rid of all pain meds. I won't even take Tylenol.

But my lack of sleep is getting to me, my job as a contractor demands SLEEP I know its a TMS equivalent but never the less I will try this med…I have tried numerous natural and OTC meds but will no help…Melatonin as help a little.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
    Forest likes this.
  17. intense50

intense50 Well known member

I met with my doc today. During these last 3 months I had 4 different ones. Mine was on maternity leave.Now she is back. I showed her my books and we talked. She was very open minded and sympathetic. She did her usual neurology testing and straight leg test. She booked me for mri and I told her I don't want to see it. Grey hairs of the spine. She agreed and said I wish I had more people like you. She is well versed on pain syndrome ect but not a tms doc. I told her you tell only if i really have a physical problem like Sarno mention in his book. If not tell me nothing. She agreed . I want my mind 100% clear.

Forest and Boston Redsox like this.
  18. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

Congrats, Boston! Looks like your first interaction with this dr was a positive one. I'm encouraged to hear that he thought your pain was stress related, but still suggested running a test to rule out thyroid and liver issues. Sounds like a well reasoned response.
    Hope you continue to have a great relationship with this physician. It's important to me to have one that I trust.
    Blessings.

Forest likes this.
  19. Boston Redsox

Thx Gigi

I also told him that I was going threw a divorce and I was having a hard times with things…he said don't be a hero if you need something take it…he said this is a very stressful event and not to fight threw it made sense to me

20. Susan1111

Susan1111 Well known member

Hey RedSox! I'm so glad you chose to speak to him and his response to you was exactly what you could hope for. He understood explaining TMS isn't the point.

You need sleep! Take something. There is nothing to prove by not except a sleepless night!!
    This is a stressful time so please remember to be easy and compassionate with yourself.
    It's great that you have a supportive brother near by.

North Star likes this.