1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

New daily persistent headache (NDPH) successes?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Latitudes9, Jul 8, 2020.

1. Latitudes9

Latitudes9 New Member

I've been dealing with a constant burning pain on top of my head for the past 12 months, and I've been told it's most likely NDPH (new daily persistent headache), which supposedly never goes away. I've tried a ton of medications, acupuncture, Botox, nerve blocks, ketamine infusions, etc. and absolutely NOTHING has helped (except alcohol). I'm at the point of looking into nerve stimulator surgery. I learned about TMS and have been trying to apply those techniques for the past 6 months or so, with no success.

I have some doubts that it is TMS because:
    1. The pain is constant 24/7. It is not affected by stress or emotions. No matter what I do or don't do, or how I think, the pain is always there.
    2. I don't have a history of other minor ailments or emotional issues like other TMSers.
    3. My neurologist says he thinks it is caused by irritated nerves in my scalp, but there is no way to prove/disprove this hypothesis, so I can't rule it out.
    4. The pain did not come on during a stressful time in my life.

But on the other hand, it might be TMS because:
    1. The pain does seem to randomly move to different areas around my head that don't match a nerve distribution.
    2. I have a personality type associated with TMS.
    3. All my MRIs/scans have come back normal.

I understand that trying so hard to "solve" the pain and being scared of it has probably contributed to its persistence, but even when I try meditation or somatic tracking, where I don't fear the pain, I don't notice a difference. I know the sensation isn't dangerous, but it's still unpleasant. I'm not scared of it, but I don't like the feeling. I guess I'm just confused because I want to believe it's TMS, but there are some things that don't fit and TMS methods haven't worked, so I don't know what to do.