1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

New back pain

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Renee, Apr 8, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Renee

Renee Well known member

I can't believe this but I was just bent over putting lotion on my legs when it felt like someone hit me on my lower back with a baseball bat. I literally went down to my knees and have had to crawl to the computer! When I try to straighten up the pain is so intense I feel like I'm going to pass out. I have a job interview in a couple of hours! Either it's TMS, I'm finally going crazy, or it's just a muscle spasm. I hate to sound so dramatic but I've never had back pain let alone something this intense. I wish I knew what my unconscious was trying to tell me. I've spent the last couple of days cleaning out my kitchen cabinets, could it be my back is just overworked from that? I was up and down on the ladder and doing some bending.

2. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

So sorry to hear of your pain, Renee. It could have been brought on by the stress of your interview. (How did it go?) Were you able to get enough relief to go?
    Sarno in his book Healing Back Pain gives suggestions for dealing with the acute trauma--just as most other MDs would. However, he advises people to return to normal activities as quickly as possible.
    If you're in good shape, I would doubt that cleaning out your cabinets would have brought on such a severe response, but it's hard to say for sure. I do know that TMS has surprised me with pain in all sorts of areas!
    Blessings as you heal.

Tennis Tom likes this.
  3. Renee

Renee Well known member

Thanks Gigi. I somehow managed to make it to the interview but fibbed and said that I threw my back out cleaning out my garage since I was visibly in pain. I can't believe cleaning out my kitchen cupboards would cause such pain let alone trying to tell some someone else this was the cause:) I'm so glad I read Steve O's book where he had such severe pain that it brought him to his knees or I would be really frightened.

I'm surprised that that my unconscious would choose my lower back since I've been studying TMS for a few years now and know better not to start chasing treatment.

4. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Sound's like a classic TMS attack. If you'd injured yourself cleaning your cabinets you would have felt the pain at the time--you would have had to fall off the step-stool to have a real injury. Can't dx over the internet not having seen how vigorously you were lotioning your legs--video would help. A job interview is stressful to most people. Your sub-c is trying to tell you that it doesn't want to go to the job interview--but you did, so your big-girl conscious mind won. TMS is "just" a muscle spasm, caused by O2 deprivation to a very small area, but it's some of the most excruciating--but--benign pain there is. You don't have to be "crazy" to post here--but it helps. G'luck getting the job, if you really want it.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
    Bunneh likes this.
  5. Renee

Renee Well known member

Tom thank you, I needed a good laugh! Everything you say is true but not only did my unconscious mind not want me to go but my conscious mind wasn't so keen on going either. After leaving a job I had for almost 20 yrs because of personality differences between me and a new supervisor I've had a really tough time finding something that I really want to do. I had planned to stay at that company until I dropped dead.

My back is no better today but I've been through worse. I remember reading that Dr. Sarno said that sometimes the pain from TMS can be worse than a physical injury. I'm trying to be hopeful in that since I've all of a sudden I've developed back pain, that mercifully my pelvic issues will subside. Perhaps my unconscious knows that I'm on to it.

Tennis Tom likes this.
  6. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle