1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Never Fear

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Eric "Herbie" Watson, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

were not supposed to be hurt, doubting and losing.
    we do have the power for change and in doing so we can truly live life

to the fullist..we just have to have that quantum focus on thinking in the now
    -accepting,releasing and re-framing-with conguency-
    it takes a lot of practice - physically and mentally accessing your dreams ....

re-frame, live in the now-accept,be aware,visualize and actualize....
    although i would say on the other side of the coin, you really shouldent worry-
    man am i gonna be able to do this? but if we accept that we can be ok
    (like weekes,ozanich,sarno- our friends on the ppd/tms forum knows how)
    then-its become an instant light of hope......the way-the truth,and the life...

if you ever catch youself doubting-say to your self am i in a state of full acceptance
    what about the 12 daily reminders-my emotions,my perceptions and peace,
    and are my surroundings full of answers -thats a key just stepping over,
    there is a place with answers.go there and stay
    its called the pyscological realm-
    id bet on ya or any one 100 to one that your going to excell-
    do you believe you are? i think so , you make the first step by announcing the topic-

do you have current stressors that are blocking you from the power of tms healing
    and living full knowledge therapy-

just a few dozen scenarios and you start to change.....
    by just accepting you can learn to change any frame of your thoughts to good -its like majic

one stressor we have is (mentally believeing)-this is where you let go or release -
    let go of any doubt-come to a pinnacle in your life of acceptance- try when you are ready
    -its not hard-we create that thought with our thoughts-

but see -it has it has always been about dedication to pull this off
    remember never give up-(use the cant hold me doun attitude-)

also the distress that comes with financial lack is debilitating
    but if you keep vour focus there -we get what we focus on
    so we keep our focus on peace,happiness,truth,growth
    and in time like the old man at the pool of shalom -we heal

we become what we wanna be in shortness

but we have to break doun truths that weve only heard about in our lives-doubts like you cant do that

we can (change)-,mentally and we will and you will achieve the tangible-
    i agree it does come with the territory-the want to have these truths trans form our lives

(this system always holds oppisite of what we fear)

Jilly, Forest and veronica73 like this.
  2. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

I liked this post because it really touched on the importance of hope and of believing in yourself.

We have a lot of control over our lives through what we choose to believe. If we have faith that we can change the way that we see the world and we are patient, then we can make changes in our lives. I wouldn't say that we can change everything-we can't just will ourselves taller, for example. However, we can change how we feel about things and how we interpret the world. We know from Sarno that changing the way that we feel and see the world can be the key to unlocking our health. Also, we know from experience and from many other writers that it can be the key to a happier life. All it takes is the will to make the changes and the confidence that we can be successful. With those two key factors, we're on our way.

I'm a big fan of the idea that we have a lot more control over our lives than we might think. We aren't victims unless we believe that we are victims. And if we believe we are strong, then we will amaze ourselves with the inner strength that we can find. Along the way, we still need to respect the fact that we are human and that, as Freud discovered, we have emotions that we may not be fully aware of. However, if we bear this in mind, respecting the past, it is amazing what we can accomplish.

Thanks for another great post, Eric. Keep them coming!

veronica73 and eric watson like this.
  3. Eric "Herbie" Watson

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Eric and Forest... these posts are strong and affirmative for "I can do it." Think positive, then act positive.
    As Nietsche said, "What doesn't kill us makes us stronger." Do what you think you can't do, and you can do it.

5. Eric "Herbie" Watson

man walt dropping some more knowledge-thanks
    keep the widom coming-ive not heard some of these truths-i like
    there structure-your a smart man-from one metaphor to another
    your rasetta stone and your own mix-then we have some great stuff
    "do what ya think ya cant do and you can do it-"
    is this Nietsche too
    ive studied him in the past
    poetry and philosiphy i think was his favorite subjests
    i believe a realist-anyways some good stuff from ol nietsche

6. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

No, that wasn't Nietsche, it was my own mantra.

Happy New Year everyone.

7. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

One thing I've never quite understood and hope someone can explain is...

Are we to regard our subconscious mind causing us pain to be doing that as friend or foe?
    Is the subcon afraid that because of our rage, anger, fear, etc., we might harm ourselves or others?
    In that case, the subcon would be doing us a favor, not punishing us.

8. tarala

tarala Well known member

Good question, and I've read about both approaches. Personally I think unexpressed emotions just need somewhere else to come out, like a river blocked by an obstacle. I have never had any luck with the approach of yelling at my subconscious, but I know you have, Walt, and many others too. I prefer saying sweetly to my subconscious that now I will recognize and feel any negative emotion, so it needs to let that happen now instead. Just a wee bit of rewiring is needed. In some post somewhere, I remember Jilly sayimg somethimg similar, but way more poetically.

9. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

I think you're right, although I have yelled angrily at my subcon.
    I prefer thinking our subcon wants to be helpful, not a meanie.

10. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Interesting question. Dr. Sarno actually speaks fairly directly to it in the 20/20 segment. He says, "But, don't you see, your brain actually thinks it's doing you a favor by doing this."
    (scan to 6 minutes and 57 seconds in)

Some people think of the unconscious like a toddler, without sophisticated abstract thought, but remarkably intuitive nonetheless. A slave to its desires, fears, and emotions. It's just trying to protect us from the thing that scares us.

Talking to Matthew, a patient of Dr. Sarno's, I get the impression that Dr. Sarno's approaches to calming the unconscious have continued to develop over time (his profile page is definitely worth a read, by the way). I believe that Dr. Sarno emphasizes yelling at one's brain less now and is more open to the idea of soothing the inner child, which seems consistent with the idea of the unconscious being like a toddler. I haven't listened for a little while, but I think he might discuss some of these ideas in the following interview:
    (taken from this wiki page, which, unfortunately, is still a mess from when had it automatically brought over from our old web site. If someone gets a chance to fix it, just click the edit button.There are always people here to help.)
    Even if he doesn't discuss the inner child in that interview, it's still a great listen. Of course, if anyone does give it a listen, please let us know what you learn...

Powerful emotions often come from powerful pain, so it makes sense that the best way to deal with them is to soothe them first and then grow beyond them.

So the question is, why have so many people found yelling at their brain to be helpful? Another example of someone who finds it helpful can be found in the 20/20 video linked to above. I actually think of it as being about accepting the diagnosis rather than calming the unconscious. I once read somewhere that anger is how we transform our discomfort into a feeling of power. .... which, I guess, ties nicely into the subject of Eric's original post about empowerment. What I mean by this is that pain and the fear it causes can turn us into victims. Rather than feeling powerful, we feel weak and afraid. Yelling at our unconscious might help people feel that power and confidence embodied in the anger. Suddenly, you are on top and your acceptance of the diagnosis is a foregone conclusion when you are yelling at their unconscious for creating the pain.

I guess it depends on whether you identify with the person being yelled at or the person doing the yelling. The former is disempowering, but the latter seems to be empowering for many. Perhaps another way to think about it is that the first step in Dr. Sarno's treatment plan is education, understanding, and acceptance. Rather than soothing the inner child, the emphasis at first is purely educational - it's about recognizing that the inner child/unconscious is what is causing our pain. If the purely educational approach doesn't work, then Dr. Sarno prescribes psychotherapy, where the emphasis switches from accepting the diagnosis and yelling to soothing the rage and healing.

With different people being at different stages, I guess it boils down to what I think could be a mantra around here: that the individual TMSer knows, in the moment, how they feel and what resonates with them. If they are still working to accept the diagnosis and yelling works with that, then that will probably feel right. However, if you believe the diagnosis with all your heart and really "get" the ideas, then it is time to move on to deeper work and start listening to the inner child so you can give it what it needs to calm down. Once that is done, the focus can shift to growing beyond it's demands, giving us an even stronger foundation..

Just my 2 cents... Sorry for the dissertation!

eric watson likes this.
  11. tarala

tarala Well known member

I think Dr. Schubiner would agree with this. In week one of his program he suggests yelling or speaking strongly to the subconscious; by week three he is suggesting to "gently ask your mind to stop doing what it has been doing in the past ... you can make friends with yourself and your subconscious min, rather than be at war with it."

eric watson and Forest like this.
  12. Eric "Herbie" Watson

man,this is an awesome thread-thanks forest, walt ,tarala-
    you guys make magic
    walt i love that mantra-do what ya think ya cant do,and you can do it

ill adapt that to my mantras-thanks walt

13. Eric "Herbie" Watson

quote forest-(Powerful emotions often come from powerful pain)

the mts we can move when our backs are against a wall is astounding
    the strength we accumilate thru learning in fields weve only whispered about
    is in the least miraculous-
    i yelled at first-usually while cutting grass -
    then i talked to my brain-but now i usually just think -ok
    slow it doun-if i feel stress or tension-or anxiety trying to creep in from the corners
    ive learnt so many different approaches that all work like magic
    but i still at times have to have a talk with little eric

14. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Thanks, guys. This is all helpful in understanding the subcon and TMS.