1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Neuroscience behind the "book cure"

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Ellen, Oct 18, 2014.

1. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

The big unanswered question that lingered with me after the meditation was whether the subjectives changes I noticed in my consciousness meant that there were also epigenetic changes going on in my brain and throughout my whole body too? Where can I get a quick brain wave readout? LOL! It definitely did seem as if "something" happened to me during the Dr Joe 1-hour meditation. What was going on during the 20-minute space when I was basically unconscious of my place in time and space? It certainly was an excellent adventure. Of course, I'd just finished reading You Are the Placebo and was primed to expect something to happen.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
    North Star and Colly like this.
  2. Colly

Colly Beloved Grand Eagle

AHHH! I've read Joe's book but haven't got the CD yet. Right - that ]'s next on my shopping list. Awesome, thanks for sharing Bruce! His book was powerful.

North Star I'm a huge fan of Miller - especially his CD "I am" and "Easing into Sleep". The only thing now though is my husband hears when they're on and comes into the room mocking his accent, which completely throws me! I love his accent btw! Soooo soothing.

Yep Bruce, you just witnessed epigenetic changes. You should contact Joe and share your insights.

I've got epigenetic change envy LOL!

Cap'n Spanky, BruceMC and North Star like this.
  3. BruceMC

What I mean is that it was only an hour or so after I turned the last page of You Are the Placebo when I did the meditation. I was prepared to have something happen and was filled with the logic of Dr. Joe's argument. He does admit in his conclusion that he could be criticized for using "faith healing", but says that's how it works. Let's see if you get the same results I did. Isn't that one of the litmus tests of scientific proof - reproducibility?

I think the brain scans of his patients who have healed are the core of the book incidentally. That stuff is really interesting. Makes you wonder whether Parkinson's and/or MS have strong psychogenic components? But healing from brain injury makes you wonder if there is more to it?

Ellen likes this.
  4. Colly

Colly Beloved Grand Eagle

I'll let you know Bruce - just ordered the CD's. Interesting about MS... I'm reading Gabor Mate's "When the Body says No" and have just finished his chapter on MS, which he discusses this very subject. I have a sister with MS, but am fearful of directing her to this book for fear of her response... Anyway I recommend his book - excellent read, though heavy going.

5. BruceMC

Yes, Colly, I read Gabor Mate's When the Body Says No a couple of years back and remember thinking it was the next logical step after Dr Sarno. Also, remember that Mate's argument and examples were quite persuasive.

I did Dr Joe's long one-hour meditation again tonight. As I expected, it wasn't as profound as the first time. But the start was still quite hypnotic. Puts you into a frame of mind where you're ready to absorb the directions he gives in the second half. Clearly, someone thought quite a bit about how to design the CD.

Well, if meditation could help your sister with her MS, why not try it? Seems like every disease has a psychogenic component, but some diseases, conditions, and disorders are influenced by mental states more directly than others? Aches and pains that aren't caused by injury or disease condition sure seem pretty subjective to begin with. That woman with MS in You Are the Placebo sure seemed to improve using Dr Joe's meditations. Sort of like super-charging your higher self outside your physical self and willing that intensified emotion into biological reality. I'd sure like it to work!

Cap'n Spanky likes this.
  6. kevinmichael

kevinmichael Peer Supporter

It is my understanding that Dr. Sarno coined the term "nocebo" to describe his program.

7. BruceMC

It's been over a year since I wrote that stuff about Dr Joe's system and now I think it was a lot of wishful thinking and bull. Sure, you can put yourself into a trance listening to his CDs, but what the heck do they actually accomplish? Not much.

8. thecomputer

thecomputer Well known member