1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Nervous About Journaling

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Aurora, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Aurora

Aurora Peer Supporter

I find myself nervous about journaling. While I really want to do it and have done a little I worry about what might come up especially since I’m feeling so anxious now. I hear so many stories of people who experienced increased pain or anxiety and depression when they journal. I worry that I'll journal about something that will make me more sad and anxious.
    I also think that this apprehension about journaling might make be subconsciously avoid getting to the root of my issues when I journal.
    Any thoughts?

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Aurora,

I agree! I think you've got it just right. Through fear, your unconscious brain is trying to protect you from the information and emotions that will come out when you journal. This is what TMS is all about. The purpose of journaling is to demonstrate to your brain that you can handle this information and the emotions that come up. Then there is no longer any need for the distraction of TMS pain or fear. Yes, it takes courage and can sometimes be painful. The key is to take it slowly and one step at a time. That is the purpose of the SEP and other structured programs. Only spend about 15 minutes a day journaling. Reach out for support on the Forum. Be very kind to yourself and balance the difficult work with time spent doing things you enjoy. It's all about taking small steps. I've had some very painful things come out in my journal that I had repressed for decades. I'm here to tell you that not only can you survive this, it is the path to lasting healing. So hang in there. Maybe even start out writing about your fears about writing. Its all about losing the fear of our emotions, and therefore, losing the need to repress them.

Best wishes on your healing journey.

3. Mermaid

Mermaid Well known member

Hi Aurora,

Ellen has give you some excellent advice, I couldn't agree more.

I too was afraid of journaling until I read "The Meaning of Truth" by Nicole J.Sachs, I would highly recommend it. She explains through her own experiences how liberating journaling can be.

Once you start, journaling can actually be quite enjoyable.

Bless you :happy:

4. Aurora

Aurora Peer Supporter

Thank you both for the encouragement. I journaled for the last 3 days and I'm in the middle of reading The Meaning of Truth. I can tell that I'm holding back in my journaling but hopefully with time and the help of my new therapist I'll be more open.

5. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Aurora. Ellen and Mermaid have given you the best advice about journaling.
    For me, journaling was the best way to discover my repressed emotions and I finally healed from back pain.
    I learned more about myself, especially my childhood repressed anger, than I ever thought possible.
    The anger was all there. I was just trying to forget the reasons, but instead I needed to think about them.
    Then I began to understand and forgive. I think we all need to forgive, others and ourselves.
    Then forget the pain and the anger and just enjoy life.

6. G.R.

G.R. Well known member

I do think journaling helps us take a deeper look at ourselves and the people and circumstances
    around us. This is not always easy to do but I do think it is very freely. I love when I am journaling
    and I just start really crying out of nowhere. I feel so cleansed afterwards.

I also feel so good when the journaling points to how I need to let go of bitterness or resentment
    toward someone. That is so freeing!!!

Well, here is to journaling!!!!

Eric "Herbie" Watson and Ellen like this.