1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Nerve/ Sciatic Pain

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Jill Pensom, Nov 3, 2016.

1. Jill Pensom

Jill Pensom New Member

Hi there,

I last posted on here awhile ago with nerve pain in my left leg which resolved after doing the programme and reading Sarno's Books etc.

Recently I have been having nerve/disc pain in my right buttock/thigh with the usual tingling in both legs.
    I went to see an osteopath who said it was a disc bulge at l5/s1 and advised no yoga, no running, no sitting for more than half an hour and to take ibuprofen. I felt really worried when I came out of the practice. Now I'm not sure what to do. I've had the pain for about three weeks. Do I re-read Sarno or follow the osteopaths advice?
    Thanks so much,
    Jill

2. ladyofthelake

ladyofthelake Peer Supporter

I have lots of the same pain as you. I cannot imagine how not moving would help you, not moving doesn't help heal disk bulges (if you even have one, not that it actually matters). I find ibuprofen useless, I've never seen it work for anybody's sciatica.

Sounds like you are falling into the trap of "thinking physical" which is very easy and socially normal to do, however it doesn't help TMS. When I do things like PT or stretches they neither hurt nor help...they are a distraction.

If you are actually scared or confused and need the opinion of a doctor maybe try to see a TMS doctor? Osteopaths are trained in and heavily invested in seeing physical causes for pain, that's what they do. And that is what most people want and expect to hear.

3. Jill Pensom

Jill Pensom New Member

Hi there,
    Thanks for your reply. I have gotten rid of all my 'props' and stopped taking the ibuprofen. I am continually telling myself that there is nothing structurally wrong with my back. It's no coincidence that I've been very anxious since September since starting anti-d again for generalised anxiety. Last year when I was on anti-d's i had no back pain at all!
    Jill x