1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Nerve Conduction/EMG Tests

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Jacqui9, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Jacqui9

Jacqui9 Peer Supporter

I'd like to get opinions on whether abnormalities shown on Nerve Conduction/EMG Tests can be TMS.

Thanks in advance.

2. giantsfan

giantsfan Well known member

I'm not a doctor, but yes. Delayed response in the nerves is TMS in my opinion based on my experience.

I'd also like to mention some of the inconsistencies I've faced regarding EMG tests. I had one neurologist tell me I was perfectly normal and another tell me my nerves were more than half delayed, soo....yeah...

Dr. Sarno talks about how nerves and muscles can have mild restrictions of blood flow in TMS so I can see why an EMG would showed delayed response.

3. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

It's a useless test with a 50 % accuratcy at best and very painful ...most dr worth there salt won't do it unless you are rolling in on a wheel chair even though I would have my doubts . It's all about billing the health ins

4. giantsfan

Well I was getting rolled in on a wheelchair at the time when they first started doing them on me, but I've seen people get EMG's with all kinds of varieties in symptoms and intensity.

I remember not too long ago getting what was probably my 6th EMG the neurologist told me: "well...not much change in the results compared to 6 months ago...". In between those EMG's I had begun the TMS journey and although my EMG said one thing my pain and numbness were much reduced. I remember thinking as the neurologist told me that things looked the same, I thought: "well that's weird because now I don't need a cane to get around and now I can jog.". (that was about 2 months ago).

I remember asking before I left: "do people who have results like mine all have the same degree of pain and numbness?". His response: "no, actually some people don't have pain, some don't have numbness, some have a lot of both and some have very little of one." In my head I remember thinking: "this is probably all just a bunch of TMS BS."

anasutana and MWsunin12 like this.
  5. Jacqui9

Jacqui9 Peer Supporter

Giantsfan and Marco,

Thanks so much for your responses.

Jacqui

6. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Years ago my GP referred me to the neuro across the street from him for a "c6/c7 pinched nerve". He pulled out this black device that did the EMG. I thought it was a joke, I'd been in the antique business and it looked like one of the quack medicine devices from the turn of the 20th century. He prescribed me an equally archaic traction device to stretch my vertebrae out for thirty minutes a day--otherwise--he'd "be seeing me for surgery." That was in my pre-TMS knowledge days; now I know the cause was was Barbara, and not a pinched nerve. These devices may be useful for DX'ing electrical short circuits in a house or a car's electrical system, but maybe not sophisticated enough to dx, mindbody dis-ease in the convoluted gray matter of homo-sapiens sapiens.

tt/lsmft

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
    MWsunin12 likes this.
  7. giantsfan

Tom. What is lsmft?

8. Tennis Tom

giantsfan likes this.
  9. Tennis Tom