1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Negative thoughts/thinking out of character - TMS?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by BinLA, Aug 4, 2018.

1. BinLA

BinLA Peer Supporter

Greetings all... hope this finds you well.

So, I've had a stress disorder for about 9 years. (Every symptom in the book.) Mostly panic/anxiety related but lots of physical issues. As some may recall, I'm a few months into a spell of balance/dizzy issues. (Strong, daily and constant.) I have made a little progress on this... and I can do everything I need to.

I also got diagnosed and treated with Shingles a few weeks back. I'm also feeling better from that, though maybe some lingering fatigue?

So overall, it feels like things should be headed in the right direction for me but I've noticed a really pessimistic tone to my thouhts as of late. It feel cyclical... not like me. I'm generally an optimistic guy.
    My brain reacts fearfully to these types of cycles. (Uh oh, what if they don't end... what if this is the new me, etc) That's the anxiety disorder part.

I'm working through allowing these thoughts to pass and not clamping onto them. But they're cranking the system up. Allowing is the answer, always... but this kind of thinking is new territory for me.

Just wondering if any of this rings any bells for people? Anything familar here? TMS-like? Anyone relate, or have stories of coming through similar?

Thanks all!

plum likes this.
  2. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

3. BinLA

BinLA Peer Supporter

Thanks Plum, I'll check that out.

I agree... this doesn't seem out of order for stress disorder/TMS. I guess it's just not my "usual".... so it feels more threatening.
    It feels cyclical, almost inorganic if that makes sense. (Like having a cold doesn't feel like your true state, if that makes sense)

Did you used to post on TMS Help? Your name sounds familiar. Used to visit there a long time ago.

Thanks again.

4. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

I think you're the right track for how to address it. The negativity bias in our brain is it's primitive response to keeping us safe. Yours is just on overdrive now. Perhaps there is something going on that your brain, unconsciously, is perceiving as dangerous. Sometimes that can even be feeling better and the possibilities it opens up--can seem a little scary.

There is a research proven treatment for negative thinking that works very well for me. Every night before you go to bed write down 3 things you are grateful for. It trains the brain to scan for the good in our life and take note of it, rather than its natural tendency to look for the negative. After a week or two or so, I'm always thinking much more positively.

I also like to remind myself that even when the sky is covered in dark clouds, the sun is still out there shining.

westb and plum like this.
  5. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

It makes total sense. I particularly like the way you describe it as inorganic.

Aye, I used to post there. Good days :)