1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Needing some support to deal with fear

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by readytoheal, Feb 1, 2019.

1. readytoheal

readytoheal Peer Supporter

Im having a non-TMS issue but I’m coping in true TMS style. I noticed some discoloring on my breast and didn’t think anything of it for several days but when it didn’t go away I made the mistake of googling my symptoms. Well what came up was inflammatory breast cancer. I have been so terrified I cannot eat or sleep. I got an appointment with my obgyn who was not too alarmed but ordered a diagnostic mammogram and ultrasound. Please I do not want to hear any horror stories about this type of aggressive cancer- I’ve read them- I just need some help functioning until the tests are completed in 2 weeks!! I have 3 children I need to take care of, including homeschooling them, and I can barely function because of the sheer terror I feel. I cannot get my anxiety under control. Scared out of my mind. Any advice? My gut says it’s ok but my mind is relentless! Help.

2. Aaricia

Aaricia Peer Supporter

Hi there!

Just wanted to let you know that I’m a mammography technologist and work in one of breast heralthe center.
    I think you are doing a great job with diagnostic mammogram and us.
    Just to calm you down I see many patients every day with similar symptoms as you described. About 7-8 women with breast discoloration. Most of them are asymptomaric and there is nothing wrong with them. Most of the the discoloration is just a bruise caused by injury and pressure that we didn’t notice. Breast is very sensitive and bruises very easily. Anyway, don’t worry. You’ll have the answers the same day.

There is a chance that dr if he see something might order biopsy which 80% of them come back negative.
    There is nothing so worry about, inflammatory cancer that you mentioned, is extremely rare but I now how scary it is, I see those poor terrified ladies every day, abd at the end of exam they are very relieved and give me a big hug.

Try go stay calm and don’t freak out. As I said, this is very very rare and i’ve Never seen a case of inflammatory cancer in my practice. but good that you’ll have this checked.
    Take care, remember that unnecessary stress is very harmful. You have 3 kids, they need healthy mom! Stay calm.

Ellen and readytoheal like this.
  3. readytoheal

Aaricia,
    Thank you so much! I’m in tears. I appreciate your calm reassurance and sharing your experience. Thank you for giving me hope to cling to and help to keep it in perspective. Google always makes any symptom a death sentence! You are right, my kids need a healthy, positive mom. Hugs and thanks again.

4. Aaricia

Aaricia Peer Supporter

You are so very welcome!
    I wish I could save my patients some unnecessary stress and I’m very sorry for them. This stress is such a wast of their energy.
    Keeping fingers crossed for your mammogram! Even though I’m sure you want need that.

readytoheal likes this.
  5. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi readytoheal,

In a positive way, as waves of worry and fear hit you, you're in the laboratory of your own anxious habits. If you can see this as a practicing opportunity, this can be really helpful. All our lives we have fears and we also lose things very dear to us. Even a few moments of mindfulness and self-compassion, practiced in adversity are actually big gifts. We're working with core stuff which we'd rather never face.

Sending you support!

Here is Neff's Self-Compassion Break meditation, which I like for fear.
    https://self-compassion.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/self-compassion.break_.mp3

Andy B

6. Sparrow

Sparrow Peer Supporter

You know that there is nothing you can do in the meantime while you're waiting, beside continue to live life. Obviously it's not that simple, and you're in such an agonizing position. But be mindful, focus on each moment.
    By the way, I'm currently reading Quantum Healing by Chopra, which talks about "miraculous" recoveries from conditions like cancer by using the mind for healing. Don't lose hope. There is always hope.

readytoheal likes this.
  7. readytoheal

Just wanted to report back that my mammogram and ultrasound came back clear!! Thank you so much for your support. I kept your words playing in my mind to keep me positive these last couple of weeks. Appreciate the wisdom and insight of this group so much!

8. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle