1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Need to believe I will heal

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Kylin Foster, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Kylin Foster

Kylin Foster Peer Supporter

I am really working on outcome independence and trying to be indifferent when pain comes on. But every time I feel free of pain and comfortable I can't help but feel how nice life would be like that. I'm always thinking about how to think of the pain too much to the point where that's all I'm thinking about! And I've been so close to the right track before where I was carefree of the pain coming on. Even before I discovered TMS I had no pain for a month just because a doctor told me its something that passes with time so my mind wasn't on it all the time. Not to long ago I was doing great for a week, I had pain but I didn't care I wasn't consumed in it. How do I get back to that place and most importantly how do I know in my gutt I will heal. I want to know deep down everything will be okay.

Tassie Devil likes this.
  2. Leslie735

Leslie735 Well known member

I'm struggling with this exact thing myself! Even when I'm feeling ok and having no issues I'm still focusing on it, waiting for it to return. Then when I get the point where I'm ok and try not to dwell on it, it's short lived and I find myself back in that cycle.

3. Kylin Foster

Same^. Hopefully people can give us advice on this!:)

Leslie735 likes this.
  4. Leslie735

Leslie735 Well known member

I really should know how to answer this myself, because I'm not new to TMS. I did it 3 years ago wit urinary issues and was pretty successful! The difference is when I discovered TMS I was already 3-4 months into the problem when I discovered it. So the fear wasn't as "new" to me as it is right now. My current problem starts just over 3 weeks ago. Also, I think I already knew my urinary problem was anxiety at that point because I had seen 2 doctors and they both cleared me of my fear. This time I haven't done all that.

5. Kylin Foster

It's probably TMS especially since last time it was urinary, pelvic pain can move around easily. at least it has for me.

6. EileenS

EileenS Well known member

My advice, taken from Steve O's book which I am reading; keep listening to Dr Sarno's books on audio. I'm doing that with The Divided Mind and Healing Back Pain ". As Steve says in his books, keep reinforcing the principles in them and that's all we really need. It works. We don't need to reinvent the wheel here. I like to listen to books on audio because I can do it anywhere. Great for us tms multi taskers.

Leslie735 likes this.
  7. healingfromchronicpain

healingfromchronicpain Well known member

Thanks for posting @Kylin. I'm also dealing with ongoing pain even after having success in reducing my mind-driven symptoms. I think I need to take @EileenS's advice, too. It's been a while since I've re-read the Sarno-related books. Maybe it's just time for me to pick them up again. But it seems whenever I've read the books lately, I feel like I know this stuff so well (at least consciously), and that if it hasn't sunk in yet, will it ever? My pain is far below what it used to be, but I still want the last layers to go away, too. I just find it hard to re-read stuff so many times when I still feel I'm at a plateau that I can't get off of. But maybe listening to an audio version might be good. But I tend to fall asleep whenever I try to listen to an audio book :)

Tassie Devil likes this.
  8. Tassie Devil

Tassie Devil Peer Supporter

I'm stuck too on a second-time around pain event. I re-read the books, began the SEP again (day 8 today) but I seem to be a bit less enthusiastic this time around, and it even took me a couple of months to figure out that it was TMS this time too. My heart just doesn't seem to be in it even though I truly believe in it. I was pain-free for about 8 months, and I have so many daily stressors and triggers and TMS traits that I know it is TMS, but I'm hitting the wall and also a bit confused now after reading that it isn't really necessary to drag up all the past unconscious anger-causing events - as to how to deal with the day to day stress that goes on and will go on for a long time to come. I give my inner child a lot of support and encouragement, I try to take time out for myself at least for a part of each day, but I am really finding it hard to journal new things this time. It all worked for me before and I will continue to go through it all but have just reached the plateau as described in this thread. Here's hoping!!!