1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Need Support...

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by shmps, Feb 3, 2015.

1. shmps

shmps Peer Supporter

I have had shoulder, neck, wrist pain for last 11 months. I started studying and applying Sarno's theory shy of three weeks back. The pain in shoulder neck and wrist has reduced. I started working out again (after 3.5 months). I have always worked out and so it was not scary. I started slow last thursday and then again last night. Guess what, I have a NEW & BIGGER problem, pain in the lower back. Ofcourse first thing that came to my mind is this pain because i worked out ? But heck no, i have been working out for last 8 years and for last 11 months pain was only in the upper back area..I have been distracted the entire day with this new pain, a little bit worried but trying my best not fear it and NOT to let it stop my exercise or physical activity.

What should i do ??????

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

shmps, what should you do for the new lower back pain? Treat it like any previous pain and tell yourself 100 percent that it is caused by TMS,
    repressed emotions and/or a perfectionist and "goodist" personality.

I healed from severe back pain after convincing myself (and my subconscious mind) that it was TMS. I've been pretty much pain-free
    for two years now, but recently began having pain in my right knee. Feels like a bone bruise, but I know it can't be that because I didn't
    injure my knee in any way. It started after someone posted about their knee pain, and then three of my closest friends said they have
    knee pain. I think that put knee pain at the top of my worries (although I have others, mainly financial), and my subconscious sent me
    knee pain so I can remind myself that my pains are TMS.

MindBody connection thinking is an on-going process. But it isn't a hopeless pursuit. TMS knowledge does heal us and gives us the
    wonderful extra benefits of knowing ourselves and others better.

I think it would be helpful if you accepted the back pain as the subconscious mind's day of getting you to focus not on the pain but
    its cause or causes (repressed anger or guilt perhaps going back to childhood).

Try not to let the pain stop you from mild exercise and performing normal activity such as walking, standing, sitting, bending.

shmps likes this.
  3. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

shmps,

It sounds to me like you understand that there is no physical reason your back should hurt. That is important to hang on to in your mind. You are probably having the classic "symptoms moving from place to place" which many here have experienced, and which Dr. Sarno described in many many patients.

Take heart and do what you are doing: ignore the symptoms and fear as best you can, and be patient. Try to witness the fear, and not let it take you over. Focus on the success you had with your other pain. Take your attention to parts of your body that don't hurt. Stay strong!!

You will have to choose how much work out you give yourself. I started slowly to regain my physical conditioning, adding a little every day. For me it was important to never give my mind-body a reason to react in pain again. Probably you want to stay active, and increase a little every day...

The main thing is to treat this as TMS, and think psychological at all times!

Andy B.

shmps likes this.
  4. shmps

shmps Peer Supporter

Thanks Walt and Andy. Walt, I read your book and its really an honest and a motivating book.

With shoulder neck pain my strategy was to think psychological as soon as the pain symptoms started..slowly the symptoms reduced.

The confusion part is with this new lower back pain (which I never had), pain is constant and high..how can i keep thinking psychological every second while i have to work and do other chores ? Pain never gives me a break so what should i be thinking mentally ? What I am doing is thinking psychological every now and then and then journaling later in the night before bed. Mostly during the day even though the pain is always there I am just ignoring it and conintuing with my daily activities. Let me know if that is the right approach ? I am so so so so sure this new pain is TMS and I will continue to workout slowly, even if it hurts.

Thanks again !!

5. Andy Bayliss

shmps,

I believe you are on the right approach. It can't be done "perfectly" in my opinion, but rather it is done with steadfastness, as you are doing. You are doing all the right things. Try not to let fear get the upper hand. You are taking a warrior's approach, and doing it well!

Reading your post I am struck with admiration at your steadfastness. Maybe it would help to see yourself from the outside. How many people you know would already be running to the Dr? You are applying the right medicine. Which is rare and precious.

Andy B.

6. shmps

shmps Peer Supporter

Thanks Andy for you support. As you said, not fearing it and facing it head on, today my pain the back has reduced tremendously. Just want to know more about when you say think psychological, what does that mean to you ?

Thanks,
    Shweta

7. Andy Bayliss

Hi Shweta,

I am glad you've had such notable results. You must be happy. Keep up the good work!

To me this means that if I have symptoms of any kind, I turn my attention to my inner life: my feelings, stressors, recent events which might have triggered emotions. I try to directly sense into my body and feel, and allow what is there. I gently turn my attention inward inquiring about what might be causing symptoms. My body is a way to access what is going on more clearly. My teacher Radha always said: the body doesn't lie. Some of this might be thinking too, like "what is churning down below?" Usually there is plenty there, so I then decide that what I am becoming aware of must explain the symptoms.

Since Dr. Sarno's work focuses on the difficult feelings of the Id and inner child, I might contemplate this too: "How is my inner child responding to my Inner Critic? to my striving?" or whatever I am aware of. This helps me get in contact with more feelings and more information.

I might also talk to those parts of me that are going through difficult emotions like anger or sadness, really acknowledging them in their feelings. It helps me to relax when I feel like more of me is seen and appreciated for what it is experiencing, without rejection. I try to open the doors to feelings, so that the mind-body knows it is OK to feel, rather than distract by producing symptoms.

This to me is thinking psychological vs allowing my mind to associate the symptoms with some kind of physical causes. I don't do it perfectly, but I do it, and am getting better over time. Also, sometimes I write this out, or say it to myself aloud, or to a friend. Writing or speaking it makes it more real, over just thinking and feeling.

If this question is really up for you, you could also start a thread to get others' feedback.

Good luck in your practice!

Andy B.

8. shmps

shmps Peer Supporter

Thanks Andy.

Really appreciate the explanation !

9. Andy Bayliss

You are welcome Shweta.
    Andy B.