1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Need support

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Lz123, Feb 5, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Lz123

Lz123 Peer Supporter

Hi,

I've had chronic pain for a long time, but long story short - I know the issues I've had were just that - pain with no real structural cause/persistent pain despite being physically ok. I've had multiple aches and pains over the years and I've found that what Dr. Sarno says is generally true.

That's not why I'm posting here today. I recently started exercising again at home and everything was going good. I was getting stronger, my simptoms (forearm pain) would come and go but generally as I progressed my pain got lesser and lesser as my body got stronger and my brain learned that not everything is dangerous. So far so good. Ordered 45LBS of weights online and when the delivery dude got there I made the mistake of not having him deliver straight to my door, instead I carried the box to my apt from the outside. I had to awkwardly pick up the box a couple of times to open doors and mess around with keys. My back started hurting that day later on and has been persistently stiff and I'm experiencing sciatica. I have had issues with back pain and sciatica a long time ago (7 years since my last major flareup). My issue is not the pain itself since logically I know the pain should go away in a couple of days,but the TMS prone part of me is in hyperdrive today. I'll be blunt and just say I am scared and worried and annoyed, mostly because I was making such good progress with exercising again and I am just tired of having yet another ache and pain have to deal with especially over something so stupid like picking up a box. I am especially anxious today probably because I didn't sleep enough (my cat woke me up early) and drank too much coffee. I know that ruminating and catastrophizing only makes things worse and yet today I find it hard to stay optimistic. I really just need to vent and get some support today. Thanks for reading

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

I get it - I am SO familiar with how easily my fear brain rears up and takes over. You are probably beating yourself up for making bad choices, right? (like, opening the box and making several trips?). Been there and done that, for sure!

You already know what to do. Some free-writing might help. Write a letter to yourself, and end it by forgiving yourself. Find a Brene Brown meditation on self-compassion. Or a relaxation yoga video for back pain (Yoga by Adrienne is excellent - she has SO many different ones). Sarno purists will say that concentrating on your back is a bad idea but let's get real - you overdid it, and you need to have a conversation with your back muscles and let them know that they will be okay, and a gentle yoga session can accomplish this.

You'll get there. And then back to your workouts!

~Jan

3. Lz123

Lz123 Peer Supporter

Hi Jan,

thanks for replying. Yeah I was beating myself up amidst all that, I am much better now (mentally at least). I reached out to a friend and she helped as well. It was just frightening how I regressed to a state of mind which probably led to me having chronic pain in the first place through fear of movement etc. Our bodies need to move to heal. I already did some yoga (the cobra pose) and my sciatica seems to have regressed a fair amount just from that and I've no doubt my back pain will too in the next couple of days. I'll get over this and move on. Thanks again :)