1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

need some input

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by abezz, Apr 30, 2018.

1. abezz

abezz Peer Supporter

IM forever greatful for you guys and
    for everything you have done and all the information you have put out there. i have been relatively pain free for a few months. had one minor relapse of lowbackpain while leaning over to grab something and it went away after a day or two. but today i was at the gym and doing some back workouts, (not for helping my back, it was just back day) and doing some routine lifts i now feel some pain and im trying not to give in to it and telling myself it will go away in a day or two. will it most likely get better? when it does, should i go back and do the same excercises to prove it was tms? how do YOU handle these situations?

much love. im in calgary alberta and we have no tms doctors or any support you are pretty much my only contact. thank you for being patient.

2. EileenS

EileenS Well known member

Hi abess, greetings from North Toronto area. Since it only happened today, at this point you only need to remind yourself that you had pain before that went after a day or two and that this pain is perfectly normal. Then try not to pay it any attention. Don't ice it or put heat on it, just ignore it. Just sounds like one of those little pains that crops up sometimes and then disappears.

3. abezz

abezz Peer Supporter

im just concerned that i may wake up tmrw debilitated.. and when i do get better should i go back and do same excercise?

4. EileenS

EileenS Well known member

Don't worry about tomorrow. You aren't a fortune teller. You might be more sore tomorrow, which would still be a normal occurrence, or the pain might be gone. When you do get better, as long as you know you weren't doing the exercise beyond your capability and that you had the proper form, then go back to the same exercise. Remind yourself that you have had pain and it got better. If you read one of Dr Sarno's books to get better, re-read some of it again tonight to remind yourself that this is just TMS.

Lizzy likes this.
  5. Lizzy

Lizzy Well known member

Abezz,

Ask yourself when you feel "it" in your back, what am I feeling? Ask your brain, what is going on that's causing it to use pain? And reassure your brain that you are ok and it's okay to feel your emotions.

My father was diagnosed with heart and kidney failure in December and along with some other things my back gives me twinges to remind me to think phycological. We can use tms to be better in touch with our "stuff."

Lizzy

PS, when you feel able do the exercises, do them. It's about how you feel. You are able to do them because your back is fine, but you must believe it.