1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

need help with wrists/hand/arm

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by abezz, Dec 25, 2019.

1. abezz

abezz Peer Supporter

hello everyone. i thought i had this under control but the fear and anxiety are killing me. about 2 months ago i punched my computer monitor while gaming out of anger(stupid i know) there was no initial pain unless someone would shake my hand. it would hurt between the pinky knuckle and wrist. i still have pain there. a month after that i woke up with wrist pain. and this wrist pain gave me so much fear and anxiety that i puked from the stress. about a week of taking it easy on the wrist it felt strong so i tried to do a pushup and hurt it again. ive since been resting it, icing it etc. x ray showed nothing. ultrasound showed some swelling between the pinky and wrist which indicates possible ligament sprain. but now my wrist and hand pain is persistent and scaring me. up to my forearm, elbow, moving around. my wrist is cracking now. im pretty sure its tms but i just cant seem to shake the fear and anxiety. if anything its my knuckle that would have a real injury but the wrist/forearm pain doesnt make sense. even though i know its tms i am still scared. my brain immediately goes to the worst case scenario. ( i am a barber) i worry i cant work, cant make money, lose my home, etc etc. how does one shake the fear and anxiety even when you know its tms.

2. birdsetfree

birdsetfree Well known member

The very nature of TMS is to distract with the fear of the pain, not the pain itself. Your bones, ligaments etc are stronger than you think. If you had injured yourself really badly, firstly, you would have immediate severe pain which you did not. Secondly, it would show up on an x ray. Also it would not be moving around, that is TMS. This is all TMS, any minor injury would have healed by now. Work on calming your mind as you tolerate symptoms and they will fade away. Ease yourself back to using your hand/arm normally while reassuring yourself that there is nothing wrong.

TG957 likes this.
  3. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

Your fear is most likely fueling the pain. You should focus on your anxiety. It is normal for anxiety to rise as the symptoms start receding, as your brain is adjusting to the new reality.