1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Need help with a little speedbump

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by hoolie, Aug 22, 2016.

1. hoolie

hoolie Peer Supporter

Hi all-

I don't post here often, but instead of mulling over and over this, I'd like to ask for some help this time!

I've been on my TMS recovery path for awhile, with some starts and stops (going the physical route for awhile), interruptions (having twins!), and lots of ups and downs...but also with increasing success and insights emerging all the time.

I was out on a bike ride with my whole family yesterday (WHICH IS AWESOME!!), and decided to take another lap around the lake on my husband's bike, pulling the twins in a trailer. It was wonderful! Until I was about to stop, and fell off the bike! :( I don't know what happened- something between the unfamiliarity of the bike and the momentum from the trailer... But here are a few important details: I was almost stopped, I landed on grass, and the fall itself didn't even hurt... i got up, got back on the bike, and carried on. It's the fear that followed that is the problem. Today I am sore. I am not surprised; that would be normal. However, the tendency is to fall back into fear and catastrophizing about everything.

So this is my speedbump. With increasing success, I've been able to argue with the bullying voices that tell me something is wrong with me (Anita V's tips have helped so much with that!!) , but you can imagine how triumphantly that bully is dancing around now. "Now you did it!! Now you really DO have a reason to be scared and hurt!" The logical side of me knows I am fine, that my body can heal from whatever minor boo boos I have, bodies can withstand more than that, etc. The other side...well, you can imagine what IT'S saying.

Any words of wisdom, empowerment, and encouragement would be appreciated to move past this mental (and for the time being, slightly physical) obstacle!! Thanks everyone.

2. riverrat

riverrat Well known member

I understand the fear sure of it. That is my struggle. You are right in saying your body will heal any boo boo. Our bodies can heal anything with the right mindset. Try to keep remembering that. You've already seen success - that only means you will see more!

hoolie likes this.
  3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Hoolie. You're doing great! The bike rides, the fall, dealing with it as you did... You are making wonderful progress in TMS healing.

Riverrat is right... you are going to enjoy a lot more success.

Your twins may be a lot of work, but they are a joy to you as well.

Try not to think the worst. Keep as positive as you can. The worst seldom if ever happens!

hoolie likes this.
  4. hoolie

hoolie Peer Supporter

Thanks Walt. The twins are a joy- and their existence is a huge miracle in itself!

It's been a tough week experiencing so much fear again. Today I did something I haven't done in awhile- journal. I wrote down all the fear thoughts that popped into my head so I could look at them more objectively and face them head on. Trying to counter them with logic, evidence, and support myself as much as I can. Words of encouragement are so helpful!

5. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

hoolie, it's also a good idea to write down the reasons you are grateful. You might be surprised how many there are.