1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

need help please

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Cenzo_Mezz81, Jul 10, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Cenzo_Mezz81

Cenzo_Mezz81 Newcomer

had a really bad night, getting in and out of bed was really hard. getting sad and need some encouragement.

I start my first day with a therapist tomorrow but I'm stressing about getting in the car.

Help someone, anyone.

2. Brant

Brant Peer Supporter

hey Cenzo ... hoping your doing ok and therapist helpful! my back pain ruled most of my life, but I'm determined to re-discover TMS(worked in the past!), accept and embrace and carry on. Doing the SEP program currently and finding it a worthwhile healthy exercise. I've been there my friend, you can do it.....:)

3. Ines

Ines Well known member

You can do it!! dancea Maybe you can visualize getting into the car successfully? Don't think about it too much though. You will be ok!

4. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

Sometimes, one of the thing I do to break the fear cycle is to first tell my subC that I know what it's up to, and that such behavior is not helpful. Then I switch gears and say, "Really? Is this the best you can do? Bring it on!"
    Sounds crazy but it works!
    Blessings to you.

TG957 likes this.
  5. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

If you keep telling yourself that there will be another night, much better than the last one, you will eventually have that better night!

6. CandyLu

CandyLu New Member

I tell myself it's tms brain and to back off. I tell myself to breath. To visualize actual oxygen going to those body parts that hurt. Also I use mint eos lip balm and visualize a calm feeling all over my body. Works for me.

7. brendan537

brendan537 Peer Supporter

I used to have the same issue with my car. I bought it and 1 day later got thrown out of the dealership because they wouldn't let me trade it back in and it was so painful to get in. The thought of getting into the car put me into a full spasm, I remember driving in it on the way home from work and so badly just want to smash into someone because I was so frustrated and enraged that I could be in so much pain. Long story short I still have that car and it gives me zero pain, i am not pain free but i broke the conditioning of the car "causing my pain". It took about a month but everytime I got in my car and out I would say to myself " the pain is not real the pain is not from the seat, I would literally repeat this to myself" I eventually broke the conditioned response.

8. Brant

Brant Peer Supporter

omg Brendan, your post has just called out to me, I've had this same experience twice in my life buying a newer car, each time I ended up just reselling and taking a loss for them as I could not find a comfortable seating position that didn't cause severe pain. It was TMS for sure but I had no clue, and as I reflect right now I do remember the extreme anger which turned into self-loathing, especially doing it twice, obviously not consciously remembering the first bad experience.

brendan537 likes this.
  9. brendan537

brendan537 Peer Supporter

Thanks I thought I was a phsyco riddled with self pity at the time and no one believed me especially the dealership because I was only 20 years old at the time

Brant likes this.