1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Need Advice

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by WillGray, Nov 3, 2016.

1. WillGray

WillGray Newcomer

So Ive been dealing with sciatic pain for about 2 years now. Underwent surgery to fix and still have pain. I heard about Dr Sarno from Howard Stern and started researching. I am seeing a psychotherapist weekly who agrees that my pain is not caused by a physical injury but from repressed emotions. We have found out that it is from my anger from being bullied and abused from my father as a child. I have not seen much inprovement in my condition yet but I find that my pain dissapears when I talk with someone about my father. Just talking to myself or journaling doesnt help yet. My therapiat today told me I have moderate depression and severe anxiety and suggested I should consider medicationa for this. I do admit I am a wreck emotionally. I show no emotion about anything other than anger. Would going on medication for this be a benefit to my healing or will it have a negative affect on my recovery from TMS? My therapist doesnt know about TMS other than what Ive told her but to get her to agree that my pain in not from a structural abnormality or injury is amazing

2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

I took an antidepressant during my recovery from TMS and it didn't hinder my recovery at all. I still take it, but do hope to reduce it at some point. So for me it was fine. The antidepressant may actually help with recovery as you deal with uncovering and feeling more emotions.

Welcome to the Forum! Keep us informed how you're doing.

3. pspa

pspa Well known member

Everyone's mileage may vary, but a common complaint about at least SSRI antidepressants is that they actually blunt emotions. The model Paulina Porzikova gave a good account of her experience in this regard.