1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Need Advice and Help

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by SME61, Oct 7, 2016.

Tags:
  1. SME61

SME61 Peer Supporter

Hello
    I have posted in the SEP forum previously. This will be a fairly long post, so please accept my sincere thanks in advance.

Background
    Diagnosed with L5/S1 disc herniation through MRI
    July 2015 could not walk more than 100 feet without severe pain for 6 weeks.
    Start physical therapy in July 2015 and can walk in August 2015, but still burning pain down leg constant 6-7 on pain scale.
    Have epidural steroid injection in Sept and Dec 2015 helps a bit but pain and burning continues.
    Start with a chiropractor in November 2015 and spinal decompression makes things worse, so stop after 2 months.
    Try 5 sessions of accupuncture no relief. Doing lots of core strengthening daily.
    Jan 2016 until June 2016 begin seeing a psychologist and dealing with issues. Find out about Dr. Sarno and see Dr. Paul Gowzdz August 2016 TMS diagnosis confirmed!

I begin accepting TMS/MBS and pain dissappates at times, but is usually present. Sometimes only a 1-3 on pain scale or less.

Working the SEP now (since August), but still fairly obsessed with pain when it comes on which is often. In working with psychologist discover that I am very stressed about childhood, when I discuss it I just cry and cry this has happened 2-3 times.

Strange thing happens when I travel and visit my dad who now has stage 4 cancer and stay at my sister's house. I have gone 5-7 days with no pain at all recently! As soon as I return home the pain begins and ramps up again.

My psychologist tells me I am making very good progress, as I am getting in touch with my inner child. I also run one mile a day now.

So what gives?
    I still have burning pain in my leg off and on most of the day and sometimes in my butt (piriformis syndrome).

I an trying to be patient and kind to myself and deal with my emotional turmoil and apply Sarno' s techniques and meditate twice a day as well.

So, I am really not sure what to do and when this will end, I think there's proof enough that it is TMS/MBS. How long can this go on?

Thanks for reading this, any advice or similar stories of those that gave overcome this would help!

Thanks!

2. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

I would advise patience and gratitude for the great progress and success you've had in a VERY brief period of time, only since August of this year! It may have taken your sub-C most of your life to develop the thought patterns that resulted in your TMS symptoms.

3. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

I agree with Tom. Sometimes we're so focused on how far we have to go, that we don't take time to celebrate all that we've accomplished. So congrats, SME, it sounds as is you've made great strides on your road to recovery!

Tennis Tom likes this.
  4. SME61

SME61 Peer Supporter

Hi Tennis Tom and Gigi
    Thanks for your kind words and encouragement. I still find myself focused on the fact that this is not gone rather than being grateful that it has gotten somewhat better and I am making progress.

Is this a common thing to do?

Thanks
    Steve

5. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle