1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Neck spasm came on in my sleep; how to handle this?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by avik, Nov 4, 2015.

1. avik

avik Well known member

Neck spasms have been the one TMS equivalent that throughout my life have been the one constant, and have caused me the most problems.
    Whenever they happen I have to just wait them out. No matter how much accepting I do or writing or relaxing, they just have to run their course.
    I haven't had one in over a year and the one I got last night happened while I was dreaming about my ex-girlfriend, whom I just broke up with last week.

You couldnt ask for a more blatant and obvious psychosomatic-pain-situation.
    Whats even more amazing about this (to me) is that I journaled for about an hour beforeI went to sleep in an attempt to release a lot of the stress and emotion I have with this.

That said, now I'm in this terrible spasm.

I definitively know this is TMS and that it will pass but was wondering what others did once they got a super-sharp spasm and if they could somehow end it early. It seems to be the one equivalent that I cannot "accept-away" or "release".

Thanks in advance for your input.

2. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

I think that's what the Good Doctor recommended the bottle of wine or Klonopin for. But, not together unless prescribed by a doctor.

g'luck!

3. riv44

riv44 Well known member

Oh, I hear you. I smear on Icy Hot and wait for bedtime.

4. FredAmir

FredAmir Well known member

Every time you fight TMS you create a mental record of beating it and becoming stronger. As you do this again and again, for small pains and big pains, your will and control over it becomes stronger and stronger to the point that you can simply give a mental command for the pain to stop and it will.

How is that possible?

Have you ever decided not to cry in public and your tears dried up?! That is a mental command stopping a physiological response to an emotion. In this tears due to sadness. In case of TMS, reduction of blood flow due to anger.

So whenever possible do not give into the pain. Fight back and help your subconscious mind learn that you are the one in command.

Tennis Tom likes this.
  5. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Avik.
    I don't think I am alone in thinking that neck spasms are another example of the MindBody connection. They come on from emotional stress, which we are all under these days, for one reason or another.

I think your neck spasm came on because, as you say, you recently broke up with your girlfriend. If that relationship shows no signs of improving, you will have to let it go and go on from there. You may have to do more thinking about whether the relationship can be repaired,
    and if not, tell yourself the break-up was for the best.

A better relationship is ahead of you. Be open to a new one.

MWsunin12 likes this.